Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C high pressure hose r&r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2011, 11:34 am
Young Cruiser

Default A/C high pressure hose r&r

Has anyone replaced the high pressure hose for their A/C? Mine is leaking, verified by the green dye coming out where the rubber part of the hose connects to the coupling. This is an area that I have never delved into, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Is this a job best left to a mechanic or can I do it in the driveway?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C high pressure hose r&r

If the hose has to be replaced, and from what you said, it does, the freon (R134a) has to be captured by the dealer or someone specializing in A/C work. Letting it out into the atmosphere is illegal.

You also have to refill the system making sure the pressures are correct on both the low and high side, add lubricant and some more dye.

My opinion: if you've never done anything like that, and for sure you don't have the right equipment to capture the old freon, I'd let a professional do it. If you have a couple places besides the dealer in your area, call around, tell them exactly what it needs and get estimates.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.