Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC problem and rough idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2011, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC problem and rough idle

First time forum user with a 2004 PT cruiser with AC problem. It works OK while moving but not very well at all when stopped and idle is not consistent. Last week I put a can of coolent with leak detection in and it worked very well for a week. Gradually, the AC became less effective, and I tried it when idling and as I applied the pedal to increase RPMs, a release of steam like material with an aroma occurred. A similar event happened a year or so ago after I took it to a repair shop who charged it but I could never get it back in for further diagnosis. It also has a tendency for the check enegine light to activate briefly while turning at slow speeds. I have read about the IAC valve already and plan to try to remove it soon to see if that helps. Any other input would be appreciated and I will update my results.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC problem and rough idle

Three words ....BUY A FAN!

Forget about the IAC valve, has nothing to do with your problem. Either your high or low speed part of the cooling fan has burnt out and you can either rebuild it yourself (very few people have the know-how but we do have a sticky if you want to try) or go to eBay, find a fan and housing that's fits your model year and when you get it, it takes about 2 hours to replace yours.

Or, for about $600 let the dealer sell you a fan and put it in for you. One day in and out and your back on the road with cold air.

The pop and smoke from your engine is the compressor because it's too hot and has too much pressure so it vents the R134a out into the atmosphere. That's why you have to keep filling it up. All because the fan isn't working properly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 06:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

I can only add a few words to Crewzin's teachings: Buy a Fan ... a year ago!

After you have installed the new fan, have someone--not the shop you've been going to ... who should have known your problem was the fan all along--have the new "someone" check out your A/C lines to see if any got ruptured from too much high pressure, due to little or no cooling of your R134A during all those times you were at idle.

Tim
Old 24 Jul 2011, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did the fan replacement yesterday. Worked wonders! Cool temps here so I was able to drive it (when I really needed to) in the 2 weeks since I bought the Cruiser. If you're doing the same, don't run the A/C!!! The fan replacement how-to will step you thru the job.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 10:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, you should check the fan by shining a flashlight on it while the engine is running and then have someone turn on the A/C. If the fan wasn't turning before it should be now. If it's not, there's your problem. Now turn the A/C off.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 07:42 pm
Young Cruiser

I just had my fan replaced. The idle is still rough. Every thing that can be done has been done to smother rough idle. Only one thing left. When they change the motor mounts they chickened out. The lower right motor mount is a terror to change. The engine has to be jacked up or hoisted up to get to this mount. My mechanic tells me his book calls for 8 grueling hour labor, about $600 bucks. I can get the part for about $35 bucks, jack the car up in my garage, jack the engine up, and spend a few days on my creeper. My mechanic is certain that will fix the rough idle. But I have read a post stating otherwise. What to do? What to do? I don't expect a reply since I am a few years in the future.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 08:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

The lower right motor mount is a half-hour's labor, tops. The jacking up of the motor is just to keep the strain off the mount while you mount it, and to adjust the upper mount to specs, later on.

Now if he was talking about the center right mount, then that's another story. But chances are that mount is okay--especially since he mentioned the "lower" mount, and not the center one.

Get a Hayne's Manual for your year and model and learn how to do it. Or go to a mechanic that knows what he's doing and will not try to rip you off.

Tim
Old 27 Feb 2013, 09:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok thank you. The motor mount I am talking about is called " motor mount rear" by autozone. Then Haynes calls it "right engine motor mount." Then the book says to adjust the torque strut 4.72 inches. Is the adjustment important? The person I bought the car from installed the 2 other mounts without adjusting. Should I find a mechanic who is familiar with Cruisers?
Old 27 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK there are three mounts on the right side. Upper, witch is the one that needs to be adjusted. The middle one, witch is the one your mechanic thinks is your problem. And it would take some time to replace. Then there is the lower one, witch is the one the above poster is talking about. If they used anchor brand mounts and did not adjust them correctly. Then you will have vibration at idle. The middle mount most likely won't be a factor.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com