Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
O2 Sensors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2011, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default O2 Sensors?

I have a 2004 Pt Cruiser with around 112,000 miles. Recently it has started to stall on me sometimes when slowing down, sometimes while in motion, sometimes gets worse with A/C on. Check engine light will come on and start flashing before it happens. I did the key dance and got these codes:

P0166
P0201
P0202
P0203
P0204
P0508
P0032
P0038

We took the IAC off and cleaned it. Reset the battery and the CEL came back on. Now it just shows codes P0032 and P0038, the others went away. Would the O2 sensors cause my car to stall? About how much does it cost to have these replaced.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: O2 Sensors?

The 02 sensors shouldn't cause your car to stall. They don't even start working till the engine warms up or is that when your having the stalling problem, after it gets warm?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It usually happens within the first few minutes of driving so no the car isnt warmed up yet. Any ideas what it could be? The first time we pulled the codes we got all 4 fuel injectors. But those codes are gone now.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be a number of things but I do know the Owners Manual says: DO NOT drive the car if the engine light is flashing.

Stalling could be from carbon buildup in the Throttle body, and inoperative Idle Air Controller (IAC) or bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, last week we had it in the shop because it messed up on me and I freaked. They replaced spark plugs and wires and bottom engine mount and told us that the cam timing was off by a tooth (I had it replaced a few months ago by someone I worked with bc it broke). I told them I would just take it back to the guy that put it in and let him look at it. But when I picked the car up from the shop they said it appeared to be running fine now and to drive it a bit before I let the guy look at the timing again. Could it be the timing causing this to happen? Would it even operate if the timing was off. Also my car idles rough at around 600-700 rpm.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hmmmm. The ruff idle is one of the signs that the timing is off but I don't like the way they told you it was off and all of a sudden it's OK "NOW" after you said your going to take it back to the guy who did it. Sounds like they were hoping you would say, well go ahead and fix it. Very expensive job and takes about 5-7 hours ...all labor on their part and pure money in their pocket.

Maybe I'm being a bit to cynical.

Have the guy who did it in the first place look at it and just hint to him what the other mechanic said about it being off. Tell him about the stalling and tell him about the parts and cleaning I suggested.

Tags
o2 sensor, pt cruiser