Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is my mechanic screwing me over?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is my mechanic screwing me over?

I have an '06 with about 73,000 miles on it. This weekend, the timing belt went out on it while I was driving it (ouch! Thank god I wasn't on the highway!). Back in April, or late march I was getting worried about the belt, so I asked my mechanic to look into it while they were looking into another matter. They told me it should be fine for at least another year at the rate I was driving at the time (I am now a stay at home mom and have been since shortly after that, so I haven't been driving much at all). Obviously, I'm upset at all of this, but I was ready to just go ahead and have them repair it. But I'm being told that I should at least ask for a discount on labor since I was misinformed about the status of this belt. From what they had told me, I don't think they actually looked at the belt back in March. It sounded like they looked at the make, model, and year and determined that I had acyear or so left.

Also, back in June I had this same mechanic fix the compressor for the ac, it took them more than a week since they said there were some Problems with the wiring harness. I got the car back with all sorts of electrical issues, including the passenger and driver airbag warning light coming off and on while I drive and the passenger seatbelt warning light. I had them "fix" it, but everything is still broken. They told me they could try and do it properly, but it's gong to cost a lot, and they may have to send the car somewhere else on top of that. Again, I'm being told to not put up with this and have them do it with no cost to me. I think I would not agree since they said that the electrical was pre-existing.

Please, no trolling. I'm just trying to get some advice and I don't need anyone bashing me. I apologize that my typing is less than perfect. I'm typing this out on my smart phones' tiny screen and it makes it difficult that catch mistakes.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is my mechanic screwing me over?

Timing belt should be good for around 100,00 miles - I just took mine in and had it done at 97,000+ miles, so I don't think you can blame mechanic, even if he looked at it in April. The wear can increase rapidly when something goes bad, like the tensioner failing - remember your engine turns runs at hundred/thousands of reveolutions per minute.
It is unusual for a belt to fail so soon.
Your other issues are another story....
Did you buy car new? If not, it's possible it was in an accident and not properly repaired.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jul 2011, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well the belt can go anytime we had some one on here had his go with less than 50,000 so as far as the belt they could ahve looked its not that easy to get a good look but id say it sucks but it happens on the belt

the A/C and wiring deal well that is a diffrent story Unless there were issues with the harness working on the A/C should not casue what you have described however please keep in mind that a car is not a person and things will and do break that really should not
When we work on a car and odd things start to happen we try to fix them but some times they are just no way realted to what we fixed and some tiomes they get expensive

The pre existing is a question was all these things happing before they worked on car????

it could be the main computor or the wiring harness could be shorted out
One thins is true electrical work IS expensive
Id probaly try to find a diffrent shop

what did they quote you for the timing belt--and did it include a water pump and the new tensioners??? it should be between $750-&1200
Old 25 Jul 2011, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, there were no electrical problems before getting the ac worked on. But they said that it had problems and that's why they were having difficulty getting the ac to work.

They quoted $1469 to get the timing belt fixed.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 10:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Becky, get another mechanic. Who needs a week to fix A/C? the dealer will cost less, and have the job done in a day--not a week?

These guys sound like yahoo's who don't really know much about PT's.

Tim
Old 25 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

becky that is WAY to hight id say get them to give you a break down the parts are under $225 that would be $1200 for labor its a bite but then that big a bite
Old 26 Jul 2011, 01:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Run from that mechanic.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 05:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckysmalley View Post
They quoted $1469 to get the timing belt fixed.
That is exorbitant.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

id go to a dealer before i went there surely there is some place else to go to
Old 26 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm in need of a timing belt replacement as well. I've been calling around for prices. I actually had one mechanic that said he didn't even want the job.

My best price is from the dealer closest to me. Here is the breakdown:
Labor: 950
Belt/Idler: 131
Upgraded Tensioner: 229
Water Pump w/gasket: 120
Coolant: 22
-----------------------------
SubTotal: 1452
Tax: 127
-----------------------------
Total: $1580

It boggles my mind that Chrysler would design a vehicle where a required maintenance repair takes so long and costs so much. Why not put a chain in there instead of a belt!