Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check engine light and battery light on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2011, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check engine light and battery light on

Hi everyone! Here is my problem, I bought my 2006 PT Cruiser (35,000 miles) 2 months ago. About a month ago my battery light came on, I took my car to auto zone to have them test it. I was told my battery and alternator were fine. A few days later the light went off and stayed off for about 2 weeks then it came back on. I took the car somewhere else to test it (just to get a second opinion) as was told the same thing and like before the battery light went off again after a few days. Yesterday on my way to work my check engine light came on and five minutes after that my battery light came back on. I checked for the "faulty codes" and all it says is "done". I checked the gascap and oil cap are both are tight. Does anyone know if this is a major problem? The car drives just fine. I love my car and I will keep my fingers crossed it is nothing major.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 05:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine light and battery light on

What did they use to test the alternator? Alternator should put out 14.3 volts pretty constant with the engine running at idle. Engine off the battery should read 12.5 volts.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 05:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine light and battery light on

Make sure the battery cables are on tight - you should not be able to wiggle them at the battery posts.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles