Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Throttle Body Spacers. Need some input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2011, 09:26 am
Young Cruiser

Default Throttle Body Spacers. Need some input

I,ve got an 01 PT and I'm getting 23-24 mpg on the highway which is pretty close to factory when i bought the car a decade ago. However I've got an aftermarket intake, Flowmaster Series 50 Exhaust, KYO Headers and Eibach 2" drop springs and sway-bars with KYB shocks. And after all that, I want to put a Jet Power-Flow TBI Spacer.

Jet Throttle Body Spacers - 200+ Reviews - Jet Power-Flow TBI Spacer

I read the reviews on Auto-anything and a guy with an 03 PT said he got more power and an extra 4 mpg. The problem is I dont know if that guy is legit or bullshit (company generated reveiw to promote thier product). I'm asking if anyone has used this product or something similar and I want their input.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 11:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Throttle Body Spacers. Need some input

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteezer129 View Post
I,ve got an 01 PT and I'm getting 23-24 mpg on the highway which is pretty close to factory when i bought the car a decade ago. However I've got an aftermarket intake, Flowmaster Series 50 Exhaust, KYO Headers and Eibach 2" drop springs and sway-bars with KYB shocks. And after all that, I want to put a Jet Power-Flow TBI Spacer.

Jet Throttle Body Spacers - 200+ Reviews - Jet Power-Flow TBI Spacer

I read the reviews on Auto-anything and a guy with an 03 PT said he got more power and an extra 4 mpg. The problem is I dont know if that guy is legit or bullshit (company generated reveiw to promote thier product). I'm asking if anyone has used this product or something similar and I want their input.
I've got an Airaid spacer and it sounds great and looks pretty, other than that I don't think it does much of anything. I like it though it sounds like a turbo.
The guy is full of poo for sure if he says he got 4 mpg, maybe .4 I might buy.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 27 Jul 2011, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A spacer made sense on cabureted cars or throttle body fuel injection, but with an injector in each intake port a spacer doesn't do squat.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

That's not entirely true. A throttle body spacer on a fuel injected car increases the volume of the intake manifold in the same way it does on a carbed car, which in and of itself may shift the torque peak downwards at the expense of high engine speed power.

I would assume that like every modern car Chrysler tuned the length of the runners and the volume of the plenum to produce a specific result, and simply adding a spacer may have random effects. It's hard to say how much dyno time was put into product development - if any.

I will disagree that a spacer will have no effect, but I would certainly put forward the question Will it have a desirable effect? As a rule of engine building, there is some doubt on a spacer's ability to increase power or fuel economy - though it's effect may change the way you drive and net better mileage.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was thinking of the grooves in the side of the spacer and the "swirl" it is supposed to introduce.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 01:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Oohhh... like those dumb "tornado" thingies? There is some science behind them, but yeah, on a modern car with a modern manifold and modern fuel injection the chances of them doing anything useful there is very low. Between CAFE and the EPA manufacturers work pretty darned hard to ensure they are getting the most of the intake design they can. On a PT, sticking a swirler before the throttle body, before intake air changes direction 90 degrees then loops around the cylinder head and expecting a result in the combustion chamber just might meet the definition of crazy. On old cars with simple, short intake manifolds you might see some returns, but that's about it. I enjoy that they sell them for turbocharged cars.... right, somehow your swirled air is going to make it through the turbo. Uh huh.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 02:06 pm
Young Cruiser

I would probably go against the TB spacer, especially for the listed price. Now if it was dirt cheap, it would not hurt to try it out and then re-sell it if you do not like it.

I had a Tornado air thing in my intake for a few years and never noticed anything until I started loosing MPGs. (and got worried that the fins would break off like so many other people complained about.) When I changed out plugs and wires I got some MPG's back, but recently I decided to remove the Tornado and so far I have 210 miles on this tank if gas and I still have a little more than 1/4 tank left. This is almost a record as usually around 120(city)-200(hwy) miles I was needing gas badly.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 02:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Ask member 01Pittypat, he says it made a big difference
Old 27 Jul 2011, 03:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Anyone who says it works is just trying to justify the money spent. They do not work on fuel injected cars. We have been talking about this since the PT came out. I had one on my '01 PT and it didn't do anything. Even the mechanic who installed it the same time as my JBA header (another expensive mistake for the PT) asked if I really wanted it because they don't really work on fuel injected cars. I had him install it anyways and he was right. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Waste of money. Great paper weight.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Enough said. I'm not getting into this one. I've said enough on countless occasions against that overpriced paperweight with a hole in the middle and anyone wants to see what I said, just do a search on "spacer".

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.