Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 Cruiser cooling fan problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2011, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 Cruiser cooling fan problem

I have an 06 cruiser and the cooling fan motor burned out again... I replaced it last year after it went out during the summer. It worked fine all winter but as soon as I started ueing the AC this summer the idle would dron everytime the fan kicked on and then it burned out again... I think it has something to do with the ac but not sure what it is... Any ideas???
Old 28 Jul 2011, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Cruiser cooling fan problem

What is it with these fans ?? I have gone thru 2 myself
Old 28 Jul 2011, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just had my fan and relays replaced this week. My 06 is at 76000 miles. I have gone most of this year without a/c.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fan doesn't have anything to do with the A/C except that it's supposed to come on when the A/C is turned on. Myself, I think it's just dumb luck if you get a good one or not. I've replaced mine (myself) once a few years ago so I guess I got a good one. Got it from a dealer in Texas because they were on back-order all over the country and that dealer just happen to have one in stock.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: 06 Cruiser cooling fan problem

I just tried to use my a/c and the chemical heats up and blows the safety release. My fan works just great when the a/c is not attempted. It is a no-turbo 2.4. Just exactly where or which relays are for the a/c? Is there a fuse somewhere located in the engine compartment? I Really am lost when it comes to the a/c,fan and etc.
I was told it could be a faulty radiator cap that can not take the load when the a/c is turned on. Could it be just the cap?
Any kind of help sure would be appreciated because when it comes to a/c,relays,fuses,fan and etc., I'm lost.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lincoln,

We need to know the year of your PT. Everything changed with the 2006 PT Cruiser electrics. If it's 2006 and up, I can't help you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:45 am
Senior Cruiser

When my fan went out, my temperature gauge never rose above its normal halfway mark. And when I turned on the A/C--although the engine wanted to die at idle, and the A/C blew warm at idle--my temperature gauge still did not move above the middle mark. It was not high summer at the time, so the ambient temperature never got to, say, the upper 90's, or above. So I can't see how turning on your A/C has anything to do with your radiator cap ....

You say your fan works fine when your A/C is not turned on? Hm? Are you sure both speeds are working?

Tim
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

I know it has something to do with the AC... Is there a relay or something that kicks the fan on when you turn on the AC? If there is, maybe it is send to much voltage to the fan and burning the motor out... It cant be dumb luck.. I have replaced the fan 4 times in the last year.. But it only goes out in the summer when I ues the AC..
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

your radiator fan is always on, the high speed function of the fan will kick on within 15 to 20 seconds of you turning on the a/c. If it doesn't, then your fan needs to be replaced. As others have posted in numerous threads, it's a common problem with the PT. When I had mine replaced just very recently, they replaced the relays for the fan as well. Dealerships will charge you $500 or more to do the job. You can do it yourself if you have the inclination to do so. Good luck.

Last edited by John0397; 29 Jul 2011 at 12:55 pm.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: 06 Cruiser cooling fan problem

My Pt Cruiser is a 2006. I was having it serviced yesterday when they ran into this problem.
The a/c quit working last year and then I needed to change the engine so I did not bother to mess with it until now. They charged it fully and that is when the problem began. I can honestly state that I haven't the slightest idea as to what is wrong or how to fix it.