PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Pt Cruiser timing off?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2011, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to cwb79
Default 2002 Pt Cruiser timing off?

Im looking for some advice. I bought a 2002 Pt cruiser used with 160,000 mile on it. I have around 175,000 miles on it now and the car seems so have no power and seems to put when idling almost like it has a miss. I have no check engine light new plugs and wires and have swapped a coil from another 2.4 and that made no difference. The guy i bought the car done said he had a "neighborhood mechanic" replace the timing belt on it before i purchased it. He said he was on the way home from work one day when the engine stopped and they came up with the conclusion it had jumped time. when i first bought the car i noticed several things that were done wrong buy the "neighborhood mechanic". One being i had no a/c so looking for the problem i found he had broke the plug off the compressor. Then i had a code for a emissions leak after some searching i found the egr tube was never re tightened to the egr. So my question is could this guy have got the timing off by a tooth or two and the car still run and drive? And if so is there any easy way to tell if this is what is wrong? I love my Pt but i think the mile may be to high to put the money into re doing the timing it may be time for a trade in?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Pt Cruiser timing off?

There's no sensor for exhaust cam.

Someone could've 're-learned' PCM cam register
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Pt Cruiser timing off?

^ I agree with whatever he said.

The main characteristic of the timing being off is a ruff idle when you didn't have it before. Doesn't sound like the neighborhood mechanic was familiar with the PT ...to say it nicely.

I don't know if a scanner/DRB II tool would actually tell you if the timing was off but it could tell you about other things that might be happening to cause your symptoms. There's no way to fix the timing (if it's off) other than tear it down again.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.