Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT was driving great then *poof* Tranny issues...ugh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2011, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 02 PT was driving great then *poof* Tranny issues...ugh

2002 PT Cruiser original owner, never a major issue at all. Actually has 171,032 miles on her and never had to pour ANY major funds into it.

I was driving home from work, car was driving/running excellent. Stopped for gas, and upon leaving the gas station, the CEL came on as well as a chime for the first time since I have owned it. I then quickly noticed that I had nothing but 2nd gear... UHH OHH! I didn't want to burn her up so I called for a tow. Took to service station, was told the only code was for the output sensor on the tranny. I figured if the output sensor is bad, I might as well change the input sensor as well. I did so with OEM Mopar parts from the dealer. Nothing has changed, car is still in limp mode. I did as was told by a Mechanic at the dealer and disconnected the neg battery terminal for about 30 minutes. Still no changes. Upon checking the dash for additional codes, I got a P1684 (battery disconnected within last 50 cycles) and now a P1689 (No J1850 messages received from the electronic transmission control module).....WTF does this mean? Will I need a new TCM or do I need to have the dealer reset/reflash the system to allow the TCM / Tranny to go into like an auto learn mode??? The tranny has never made any noise nor shifted funny or slipped.This is a non turbo, Automatic trans by the way... As a devoted PT owner, Id hate to have to turn her in, but at 171,000 miles, I am not sure if I want to pour any more $$ into her. ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: 02 PT was driving great then *poof* Tranny issues...ugh

Did I mention my wifes 2001 PT now has 277,000 miles on it? Very good little car as long as you take care of it. This is why I seriously want this to be a cheap fix. Wife has already said if/when we have any issues that require expensive work at this point / milage, we're trading up for new rides. Both cars are garage kept, mint condition... just high mileage. I really want this on the road again.