Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Larger Throttle Body?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2011, 03:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Larger Throttle Body?

When I was a member of the Neons.org group one easy and cheap mod was to install a larger throttle body from a small 49mm to a 52mm bore. Some went to a jeep TB being even bigger. More air in and out makes more power. What size is our throttle bodies? The Neon alum intake could be massaged for a 58. I know our intake is plastic but just wondering....
Old 03 Aug 2011, 03:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Larger Throttle Body?

here check this out Larger Throttle Body
Old 03 Aug 2011, 03:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The automatic PTs come with 52mm TBs and the 5 speed come with 47mm TBs from the factory. What we usually do it get a TB from an automatic and put it in the 5 speed models. 01-02 have the old design TB and 03 and up have the newer design but with different sensors...In my car I used a 52mm TB from an 04 automatic and I re used my old sensors.
Old 03 Aug 2011, 03:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
The automatic PTs come with 52mm TBs and the 5 speed come with 47mm TBs from the factory. What we usually do it get a TB from an automatic and put it in the 5 speed models. 01-02 have the old design TB and 03 and up have the newer design but with different sensors...In my car I used a 52mm TB from an 04 automatic and I re used my old sensors.
i was gonna mention some thing like that but i thought is was the other way around.
Good save bro
Old 03 Aug 2011, 04:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

BINGO..... thats the answer I was looking for. Thanks XTRM.... btw, man I love your car...awesome color. Same situation with the Neons TB's. My R/T had a smaller TB than the DOHC auto's (47mm necked down). Installed the auto and did the half shaft mod and it did make a difference. I kinda miss the R/T as that little 2.0 would wind up to 7200 RPM spinning the tires into 2nd gear. The PT goes to shut off at 6 grand. Nature of the beast but love the Cruiser. Thanks for the tip... off to the bone yard this weekend for an auto TB. Lastly, looking at mine I see a rubber half moon at the top of the blade.... the heck is that for? Noise?
Old 03 Aug 2011, 05:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I don't know what it that for, but I know it restricts the flow...the 52mm don't come with it.
You have and 02 right? Here is a cheap one on Ebay ( BTW, I've got it from this same seller ....super fast shipping )

01 02 PT CRUISER THROTTLE BODY AT | eBay
Old 03 Aug 2011, 05:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah the PT won't go much over 6k rpm, in fact I usually shift around 5500 rpm. I have a shifting light at 5400 and another at 5600
Ohh and thanks for the compliments
Old 04 Aug 2011, 03:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yeppers, an '02 manual trans. Saturday is bone yard shopping day. I figure $20 is all the TB is worth. I'll swap the IAC and TPS over and the return spring when I pull the shaft for the half shaft mod. The auto trans spring is weaker than manual trans and a bit twitchy at tip in. That was common problem with the Neons going to the auto TB... too touchy on tip in. There is a cam angle difference between the two but not worried about that.
Old 04 Aug 2011, 04:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Can you explain about the spring issue a little better?
Old 04 Aug 2011, 05:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

On the 1st gen Neons the auto throttle body has a lighter spring and the cam angle is different than that of the manual trans throttle body. The lighter spring would make throttle tip in much more sensitive to input and that compounded by the difference in cam angle would snap the throttle open faster almost jerky as you would be set back in the seat and your foot would naturally tip into the throttle more... trust me on this. I as a test, had to verify, had the auto spring and cam and it was very twitchy, changed only the spring to the original manual trans and the driveability was much better being a bit quicker on the initial opening because of the faster cam angle. The difference between the 2 is due to many factors on the Neon. Back then the trans in the 1 gen was the old 3 speed with kick down cable that added throttle feedback with the adjustment spring and the internals in the valve body adding a bit more resistance. I'm going to check the PT to see if the springs are the same wind and gauge thickness. Curiosity more than anything else. The 41TE trans has no kickdown cable and may be the same spring as manual trans. call me anal.....