PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing Antifreeze Fluid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2011, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing Antifreeze Fluid

Hi,
My name is T, living at Colorado, own a 2001 Touring Edition. Last week my love was overheating. Checked the low and high speed fan relay switches and their good. It turned out, the fan blade was dismounted from the fan housing and cracked into pieces. I replace the fan using the Haynes Manual, to my surprise it wasn't really difficult. My confusion(please don't laugh) is the antifreeze fluid. I know it's 50/50 mixture of water and anifreeze, but do I pour the mixture into the radiator cap input or do I pour the mixture into the antifreeze reservoir in the back of the engine? Or do I pour separately, 50 percent of antifreeze into the the reservoir and 50 percent of water into the radiator cap input? Thank you and have a good day.
Old 03 Aug 2011, 06:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Antifreeze Fluid

I've always used kind of both... But whatever it is, make sure you get the right stuff.
Old 03 Aug 2011, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have another container, try mixing the water and anti-freeze together before you pour it in either the radiator or overflow tank. Eventually they will mix together anyway but that's how I like to do it. Don't forget you need to bleed all the air out when your done filling it up and as Morkeste said, make sure you use the right antifreeze, the kind that has HOAT on the container.
Old 04 Aug 2011, 07:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Zerex G05 is good to use - NAPA carries it.
Withe the engine completely cold, fill the radiator first. Start the engine, cap off, and keep filling as bubbles work out. When level is stable, turn off, put cap on and fill overflow to top mark. Drive the car for a bit and re-check the level in both radiator and overflow.
Use only distilled water to mix - you can get it supermarket for steam irons.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Aug 2011, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just want to say thanks to all the suggestions, took all the tips, replace the fan and antifreeze fluids and my lover is running good, its been a week and there is no problem. Thanks again,

T
Old 07 Jul 2012, 08:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Bringing back a slightly old post...
If I flush the coolant system, how much HOAT antifreeze will I need to fill it back up?
Old 07 Jul 2012, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Creepy,

Looking in my owners manual or Haynes won't help me answer that one. Your going to have to look in your owners manual to see what the capacity of your coolant system is. I think the Turbos take more than non-turbo and knowing Chrysler, different years take different amounts.

When you find out, a 50/50 mix of distilled water and HOAT.
Old 07 Jul 2012, 10:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Yeah, knew about the HOAT. Just wondered what the capacity is, since all I've found online is a reference to 6.5 quarts. If that's the case, I can get the Zerex 50/50 for about $16.00 a gallon at NAPA. Much better than when I figured I've need several gallons at least. It's the biggest small engine I've had in a car, and seems overall to use less fluid of any kind except oil. I still wonder where the heck our Cruisers put 5 quarts.
Old 07 Jul 2012, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, if it helps, Haynes and Chilton say:

2002 and earlier models take 7.4 quarts (7.0 liters)
2003 and later models take 6.5 quarts (6.2 liters)
Old 07 Jul 2012, 02:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

A gallon of pure antifreeze is four quarts. So mixing four more quarts of distilled water to achieve a 50/50 ratio, brings you to eight quarts. That's more than enough for all PT's and leaves some left over for reservoir filling to the mark as time progresses.

Tim