Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Issue Need Help !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2011, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Transmission Issue Need Help !!!

Hey guys,

I had posted on here awhile back that my wife and I were the proud new owners of a 2002 PT base edition. We bought the car from a private owner who did not have the time or the money to invest in any repairs and the car was dormant for about 1 year.
I brought it to a mechanic and the timing belt was broken. He changed the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, oil change, coolant flush and replacement, and even new piston rings. We picked the car up last Friday and took it home, got it all cleaned and fueled up with some marvel mystery oil in the fuel tank and went cruisin all weekend.... We had a blast, it is an AWESOME car to drive !!!
Now the bad news....My wife and I were out driving 2 days later and had put over 400 miles on the car, and we were stopped at a red light. when the light turned green, I went to accelerate, and the transmission made a funny " whirring " noise and the car barely rolled forward....I let off the accelerator and shifted into neutral, then back into drive and it seemed to work again. At the next red light it didn't want to move at all...I was able to limp into a private parking lot and out of the roadway. I tried several times to shift back and forth to see if it would catch or engage back into gear, and every once and again it would, but only for a few brief seconds, then it would stop pulling....
Needless to say I had to get towed home. When we got home and the wrecker driver rolled the PT off the truck, I was able to crank it up and actually back into my parking spot and pull forward once or twice before it failed again...The next morning I check the fluid level and it was WAY over full, and I recently drained almost a gallon of fluid from the transmission to get it to a normal level. After draining and re-checking the level I tried cranking and shifting, but it didn't change....It does the same thing, it will shift maybe once or twice and the for some reason disengage....
Is it the transmission? or maybe a linkage issue? or something else... Help please, we want to get back to enjoying our PT again....
Old 03 Aug 2011, 08:22 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Issue Need Help !!!

It sounds like when my wife's transmission went bad... Why don't you just remove the transmission pan and see what you find...if you see a lot of metal you know the transmission is gone
Old 10 Aug 2011, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys, any idea if a transmission from a different model year PT will fit in my 02' cruiser ???
Also, whether or not it will or won't, does anyone know where I can get a reliable transmission so that I can get my PT back on the road ???? Any assistance and info would be appreciated....

Thanks !!!!
Old 10 Aug 2011, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys, any idea if a transmission from a different model year PT will fit in my 02' cruiser ??? Its an automatic transmission...
Also, whether or not it will or won't, does anyone know where I can get a reliable transmission so that I can get my PT back on the road ???? Any assistance and info would be appreciated....

Thanks !!!!
Old 12 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

01-03 should be the same, pt suppose to be some platform as neon, oops did i say that! Any good used parts supplier will automatically crossreferance the application for availability.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same thing just happen to my 2003 PT touring whining noise then just wouldnt go. I have been searching for one local to me in WV. I have to replace the trans. I have heard both that can and can't use a tranny from other dodge cars I got a tranny in a neon and a stratus I can get for 500, Does anyone know if for sure they will work or what I have to do to make them work??