Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Cooling Fan speeds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2011, 09:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Cooling Fan speeds

Hi, i have searched through the many threads on this but cant seem to find a definative answer as to when the low speed fan should kick in? (the high speed seems to kick in when the temp guage reaches the middle) but the fan doesnt spin at all until it reaches mid temp. If i am seeing the high speed working ok i will try a new low relay as presumably (the fuse is ok, brushes ok) seeing as it is working on 1 (possibly high) speed.

on another note, (car is overheating) i have bled system..i notice no hot air coming from heater (possible air lock still?) - the car doesnt seem to overheat with radiator cap removed. The upper rad hose is burning hot but radiator seems 'mildly' warm..so maybe a blockage. (sorry i know that particular bit is a lot of information, i have read a lot of the threads and still trying various fixes but if something here is obvious to one of you guys please do make any suggestions. - thanks
Old 04 Aug 2011, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Cooling Fan speeds

The fan is two speeds and it sounds like your low speed isn't working. The relays are usually the last thing to go bad. The fan motor is usually the first thing to go. The internals brushes wear out and you loose one speed or the other. That could very well be the reason for the overheating.

You say it doesn't overheat with the radiator cap removed but there's no way you could run the engine for very long with the cap removed. As soon as the thermostat opens up and the water temp starts raising, it would shoot water out of the open housing where the cap would be. The upper radiator hose is extremely hot, then feel the bottom hose, should be very hot also and if not could be a sign of the bottom of the core is partially blocked.
Old 04 Aug 2011, 09:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks, the bottom hose is no way near as hot as the top hose. Im not sure how hot to touch the radiator should get?, but its mildly warm at most when engine bay & hoses etc are very hot. One other question i have is when bleeding system is it a requirement to have the in-car heater blowing full set to hot? I think the fan is main problem but i have been having trouble getting air out the system too. (i get the gurgling/boiling in resevoir)

I may just try a relay (as they are only 2) before i have a go at removing fan. i spoke to an electrician (not a mechanic) who said it would be unilkely to be brushes if it was still working on high speed. Im in new territory here so im trying to pick up as many opinions and advice as poss. ta
Old 04 Aug 2011, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Doesn't hurt to have the heater on before trying to get the air out of the system to make sure the coolant has circulated everywhere. Don't think it matter to have it on when bleeding. You should bleed it a couple times, a day apart to let any trapped air circulate up to the bleed valve.

I know your in the UK so hopefully this stuff is the same on your cars. On mine, the low speed fan comes on as soon as the A/C is turned on no matter how cold the engine is and as it gets hotter, the high speed kicks on.
Old 04 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks Crewzin, yeh i tried a new relay but same thing

i flushed the rad this afternoon, just started up and after 10mins running now the radiator is getting red hot and the hoses/engine bay seems cool. Also temp guage not climbing anymore. I will still have to address the fan issue but maybe this was a clogged radiator problem?

it still has rad flush chemical in which needs draining then refilling with proper coolant so will see how it goes after this. Also cant seem to get the HOAT coolant that is often talked about on here, the dealer gave me OAT which is a pinkish colour :S
Old 04 Aug 2011, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the dealer gave it to you, I'd say go with it. The pinkish color is what I have and I know your not supposed to mix colors so my guess that's it's compatible with HOAT and won't do any harm. Just my guess.
Old 05 Aug 2011, 03:43 am
Young Cruiser

I'm in the UK and can confirm that the slow fan speed kicks in when you turn on the A/C and the high speed fan kicks in when the temp goes a fraction above mid temp.

The low speed fan will not come on if you are low on refrigerant for the A/C, but you can test that it works by 'jumping' the A/C low pressure switch.

You can test both speeds of the fan by hard wiring it to the battery. My fan was burnt out, rather than buying a new fan I replaced the brushes, if you need details of where I got them made up, let me know. It works out at about 40, which is less than half the price of a new fan unit.

In use the pinky colour coolant.

Last edited by swanjack; 05 Aug 2011 at 03:46 am.
Old 05 Aug 2011, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Swanjack,

Please look over the instructions we have posted in our forum and if you have more details or photo's we'd love to see them and pass them on to other members that would like to try and do the same thing.

Here's what we have ......

The radiator fan fix