PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2011, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Help

I'm really bad at introductions but here it goes:

I don't actually own a PT Cruiser, but enjoy working on cars. I found this forum while trying to help a friend of mine with her PT and figured instead of going into this blindly I would see what help you guys have to offer.

My friend bought a 2001 PT from a used car dealership (her first mistake) and the car has been giving her cooling issues ever since she bought it. She claims to have a family mechanic but the guy has supposedly replaced the thermostat, water pump, cooling fan, did a coolant flush all to the tune of several hundred dollars claiming that each time would fix it.

The car will drive for 12 miles until it begins to overheat without the ac on, if you turn the ac on it will overheat immediately. Fluid levels are all where they are supposed to be and there are no leaks whatsoever. The mechanic that she has been taking it to said that it is now definitely the radiator and that is what needs to be replaced.

I was able to find her a good deal on a radiator from ebay and have that ordered and read over the write up in the tech section which I plan on following. However, I'm sort of questioning the mechanics judgment because he seems to have just been throwing parts at it. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with their PT and does it sound like this is the radiator that's causing it?

I am going to replace the radiator just to be safe but I also found another write up that suggested buying all new hoses as well. Is this necessary/recommended and if so which hoses do I need? Thirdly, has anyone done a write up with pics on here? If so that would really be helpful but if not I would be more than happy to take a few while working on it for future reference. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 06 Aug 2011, 02:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Help

Ty, there's a Sticky in this section that says, "How to". Open that and find PT Radiator Replacement.

Tim
Old 06 Aug 2011, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You're talking about this one correct? How to Replace a Radiator on a PT Cruiser | eHow.com If so that is the one I mentioned in my original post and did find it to be very well written and informative.

I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through the process of doing a full write up with pictures as I am a visual type of guy.
Old 06 Aug 2011, 05:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a video on replacing a radiator but I think it's generic.

Also, you can follow the instructions on my fan and housing removal and the radiator doesn't have much more to do before getting that out.

How to Remove Your Radiator | eHow.com

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you guys for all of the help thus far. The radiator came in the mail yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to get this knocked out this weekend. I believe I have everything that's needed besides the line wrench which I plan on buying today. I didn't see that it specified which size it is in the write up so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what size it is so that I can run to the store and get one.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Get yourself an adjustable wrench to you can use it for all occasions.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 06:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

What's a "line" wrench?

Tim
Old 13 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

SInce I just went thru the same situation, I suggest that you make sure that the fan runs when it is supposed to. I have had to replace the brushes in the fan motor. Now the over heating issues are gone. The info is in the HOW TO area.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 06:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Read this posting.....

Still Overheating?

The overheating problem may have caused the head gasket to leak.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

I got the radiator replaced over the weekend but the car is still overheating. As I mentioned in my op, the guy who had worked on the car before me told her he had "welded" her plastic radiator, replaced her water pump, and her thermostat. The radiator was patched together and had a steady leak so it definitely needed to be replaced. I also replaced the lower radiator hose as well due to a small leak.

When I got in there I also found that he had hard-wired the fan to the battery so that it would come on at all times, it was literally taped together with medical gauze. I also don't believe he replaced it as it appears to be an older fan, unless he got it from a junkyard. I tested the fan by wiring it to the battery and it came on and was working fine so I unhooked all of his extra wiring and spliced the wires back to how they originally were and plugged in the fan to the sensor.

I put everything back together and the car did seem to run a bit cooler but as soon as I parked it and kept the engine on the gauge began to creep up to 3/4 mark. I checked the fan and it isn't coming on so I swapped the horn and fan relay but the fan horn still worked afterwards but the fan still isn't coming on.

At this point I'm really doubting that he has replaced anything that he's saying he replaced but I don't understand why the fan would come on when wired to a battery but not in the car if the relay is good?