PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help Me Please!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2011, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Help Me Please!

I was on my way home yesterday afternoon, after a hour long trip. While stopped at the light, my oil light came on, in my 2003 PT Cruiser, then the car cut off. I did the 1, 2, 3 and got a P0522 error code. Will replacing the oil sensor allow for the car to restart, or is there a bigger problem?
Old 06 Aug 2011, 02:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Help Me Please!

Do you have any oil in you car? because I don't think an oil sensor will make the car to shut off
Old 06 Aug 2011, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Do you have any oil in you car? because I don't think an oil sensor will make the car to shut off

I wouldn't think so either BUT, I've seen it happen with my own eyes and have seen owners say after they changed the sensor the PT started up and ran fine. I think it has something to do with the computer thinking the oil isn't circulating and the oil pressure is bad or even it thinks there's not enough oil. Can't say for sure and I haven't seen anything written on it but I came to the assistance when I was out on patrol of two ladies stopped at a light with a PT Cruiser and it wouldn't start. Had them do the code trick. Of the few codes I knew by memory, the oil sensor (P0522) was one I knew. Checked their oil and it was full. Had them towed to the nearest Chrysler dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong except the code (an hour labor to check it out) and then they put a new sensor in. PT started up and ran OK.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Aug 2011, 03:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Wow. That's why I love this site. I learn something new every day
Old 06 Aug 2011, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's the crazy part about the whole thing, I just got my oil changed a day ago. But, thanks for the helpful information.
Old 06 Aug 2011, 05:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Help Me Please!

learned something new today also
Old 07 Aug 2011, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I changed the oil pressure gauge, and the car still doesn't start. Would anyone have any other ideas?
Old 07 Aug 2011, 07:50 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Did you use a OEM sensor? Did you unplug the battery for at least 5 min so the PCM clears the code?
Old 07 Aug 2011, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: Help Me Please!

In order for me to get to the part, I had go in from the top. So the battery was unplugged for an hour. The code no longer shows, put it just won't start. And forgive my ignorance, what is a OEM sensor?
Old 07 Aug 2011, 08:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

reg, an OEM sensor is one made by Chrysler--not an aftermarket or "who-knows-who-made-it-electrical-part."

Who put the oil sensor in for you? Did you? I had the dealer do it for me because I don't have gorilla arms, and I have no lift.

My oil sensor was going on intermittently at start up. This happened twice in a two-week period. My wife would notice the oil light on--then she would immediately shut off the engine. She would re-start the engine--and the oil light would go out as if nothing was wrong. I checked the oil level and it was full, both times.

Then I attempted to locate the oil sensor, myself, so I could change it. I quickly realized that I needed a lift; and since I had none, I drove the PT to the dealer and they put the car up on a lift and did the deed.

I'm relating this because you said you had a different situation (out on the road and at a Stop sign). So I'm wondering if the sensor is not the problem. Perhaps it goes deeper than that.

PT oil-sensor problems are very common, I found, so I had high hopes that my "oil problem" was with the sensor. I was correct.

I also didn't have a problem starting the engine at any time--although the key dance showed a P0522 code, as well.

I'm wondering if you don't have an oil circulation problem--and that's why the car won't start. I hope not--especially if you bought an aftermarket oil pressure sensor (which may be the problem).

Tim