Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'04 Cruiser won't start. failed jump attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2011, 01:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default '04 Cruiser won't start. failed jump attempt

I have a 04 PT Cruiser Limited turbo 57 thousand miles (always babied, I love my car)

I drove it in the morning fine, but then in the afternoon went to start it and NOTHING T.T it was dead-dead (I had only had that happen once before about 4 years ago, then it was cause of a dying battery, took it to the shop to be replaced after getting it jumped, it was all good.)
After cleaning the leads and such the funny thing was this time It wouldn't even jump start? though after letting it sit (charge) for a few I turned the key the dash lights came up but as soon as I tuned the key all the way to the start position everything shut down, other then the ticking noise the engine but no starting
I did the key thing about 8 different time & the code always showed "done"

I really am hoping it is just a very dead battery (it is extremely hot (over 100 for months at a time) here in the summer and the top of the battery looks kinda gooey 'wet', but the failing to jump has me very worried.

HELP!
*edited slightly wording of starting issue.

Last edited by TrinityLayne; 07 Aug 2011 at 02:06 am.
Old 07 Aug 2011, 07:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '04 Cruiser won't start. failed jump attempt

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it sounds like a completely dead battery. The ticking noise is the reason I say that. The starter takes more power than anything else. You can have enough power for the lights, horn, and radio but the starter needs almost 12 volts to turn over the engine. The clicking is from the solenoid attached to the starter. Heat will definitely kill a battery.
Old 08 Aug 2011, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree on battery.
If there's another car, have other car running and hook the batteries together with jumper cables, then start your car - then carefully unhook the jumper cables after your car starts (keeping end of cables apart - two people make it easier).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Aug 2011, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: '04 Cruiser won't start. failed jump attempt

Thanks for the help, I replaced the battery today (boy was that fun it was actually harder to get it back in, then it was taking out. I couldn't get that darn bar attached to the bolt to line up.) and my baby started right up.
(now to keep finger crossed that it was just the battery and that my alternator isn't dying too.)
Old 08 Aug 2011, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully you took a good look at the cable ends for any kind of corrosion and made sure they are good and tight.

Tags
battery, jump start