Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2011, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission question

Hi All, I have a couple of questions hopefully I can get some input on. i have an 03 Touring, NA, Automatic with 110,000 miles. The fluid is nice and red with no burnt smell and no discoloration. I bought the car 6 months ago and although it seems to have been very well maintained, I have no record of when the tranny was serviced last. I want to have the transmission serviced. My first question - Drain and fill w/filter or flush w/o filter. On one hand, dropping the pan and changing the filter seems like the route to go but on the other hand all that gets changed is whats in the pan. The rest of the old contaminated fluid gets left in the converter. Flushing makes sense in the fact that you change all of the fluid - converter and all but ( at least here in the Carolinas) none of the shops change the filter when they do a flush. Seems to me that either way your not getting a thorough fluid change. What is the opinion of the group?

Next question. When I back out of my driveway and stop and shift to drive, it sometimes goes into drive kind of hard. Not hard enough to chirp tires or anything just kind of jerks into gear. It shifts fine and only does it when backing out of my driveway(engine cold or warm). If I back out of a parking space on level ground it does not do it. I saw another post where someone posted a video clip of his engine movement when shifting from park to drive to reverse and so on. His engine had a lot of movement when he shifted. Mine seems to do the same. Could the motor mounts(esp the trans torque mount) cause the jerking when putting it in drive? I am planning on having the energy suspension master kit installed which includes the torque mount and will probably also have the other motor mounts replaced as well but I am still working that into my budget. Hopefully next month. I also want to do ball joints and shocks and struts at the same time so it will be quite a large investment. Any info on this issue will me greatly appreciated. Thanx, Da DJ Mon
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 08 Aug 2011, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission question

Welcome to the forums.
What you want is drop the pan, change filter, refill with old fluid, then flush and replace all fluid. Don't see why they wouldn't do that....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Aug 2011, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome to the forums.
What you want is drop the pan, change filter, refill with old fluid, then flush and replace all fluid. Don't see why they wouldn't do that....
Makes sense to me, but all the shops I spoke with (including the dealership) are telling me that when you flush the tranny it will clean the filter too. Sounded like bs to me but wanted some more opinions. To do both flush and filter they are quoteing me $149.95 for the flush and another $99.95 to drop the pan and change the filter. Sounds a bit high to me.
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 08 Aug 2011, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadjmon View Post
Makes sense to me, but all the shops I spoke with (including the dealership) are telling me that when you flush the tranny it will clean the filter too. Sounded like bs to me but wanted some more opinions. To do both flush and filter they are quoteing me $149.95 for the flush and another $99.95 to drop the pan and change the filter. Sounds a bit high to me.
Then go with the flush - I paid close to $200 for the flush.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Aug 2011, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

its not hard to drop the pan and change the filter in fact change the fluid wait a month or two and do the flush you get the best of both--I did the drop and fill drove 4 months and did it again and again in 4 months I am prett satisfied that all the fluid is new and clean

5 quarts of ATF 4 = $30
Filter $24
$54 so I coukld actually do it 4 timnes and still be at the same cost
Old 08 Aug 2011, 03:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

One info I got from my transmission guy/buddy: If you never did a flush on a transmission is safer just to drop the pan, and change the fluid and filter, ( even if you have to do it a couple of times) because if you already drove for 100k miles with the same fluid you risk loosing up all the debris and metal shaving that has been seating on the transmission for years and they may clog the lines or get between the gears
Old 08 Aug 2011, 08:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like your motor mounts (top and possibly bottom struts, that is) are worn and making your motor scootch around too much. Have someone start the car and go through the gears several times while you're looking at the motor. It should move a little from park to reverse, and reverse to drive--but not a whole lot.

As far as the trans oil goes, I had the ATF+4 and filter changed at 48,000 and the new oil looks and smells nice and red--and not burned. It still looks good at 77,000 miles. I'd definitely change the filter.

Tim
Old 08 Aug 2011, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Flushing the tranny through the cooler lines won't clean the filter. But then again, there isn't much to the filter. It's like a fish filter really only designed to catch chunks, but clutch material usually builds up in it. What you really miss with a flush is the ability to get all the fine steel thats worn off and stuck to the magnet in the pan. I always go for the pan drop + filter. You already mentioned the fluid looks OK, I'd only be concerned if the fluid was burnt up or really dirty. In that case I'd probably just do it twice with a couple days in between. Tranny fluid is in a closed system and normally shouldn't get too dirty. It's hydraulic fluid so it really doesn't get "old", what kills it is heat am I right?
Old 08 Aug 2011, 09:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadjmon View Post
Hi All, I have a couple of questions hopefully I can get some input on. i have an 03 Touring, NA, Automatic with 110,000 miles. The fluid is nice and red with no burnt smell and no discoloration. I bought the car 6 months ago and although it seems to have been very well maintained, I have no record of when the tranny was serviced last. I want to have the transmission serviced. My first question - Drain and fill w/filter or flush w/o filter. On one hand, dropping the pan and changing the filter seems like the route to go but on the other hand all that gets changed is whats in the pan. The rest of the old contaminated fluid gets left in the converter. Flushing makes sense in the fact that you change all of the fluid - converter and all but ( at least here in the Carolinas) none of the shops change the filter when they do a flush. Seems to me that either way your not getting a thorough fluid change. What is the opinion of the group?

Next question. When I back out of my driveway and stop and shift to drive, it sometimes goes into drive kind of hard. Not hard enough to chirp tires or anything just kind of jerks into gear. It shifts fine and only does it when backing out of my driveway(engine cold or warm). If I back out of a parking space on level ground it does not do it. I saw another post where someone posted a video clip of his engine movement when shifting from park to drive to reverse and so on. His engine had a lot of movement when he shifted. Mine seems to do the same. Could the motor mounts(esp the trans torque mount) cause the jerking when putting it in drive? I am planning on having the energy suspension master kit installed which includes the torque mount and will probably also have the other motor mounts replaced as well but I am still working that into my budget. Hopefully next month. I also want to do ball joints and shocks and struts at the same time so it will be quite a large investment. Any info on this issue will me greatly appreciated. Thanx, Da DJ Mon

Aye inspect the mounts. Put the car in park with the hood up (on a LEVEL surface!) and push from the bumper. You'll see exactly how much the motor moves, it should be very little. Also look at idle, if either of the struts are busted it'll shimmy back and forth.

The motor mount doesn't actually do anything but fight gravity, its just a bolt through the fenderwell really, and the other side is a tranny mount that is similar.