PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

What is relay location???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2011, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question What is relay location???

I need to know the location of the high speed fan relay on a 2007 PT Cruiser, base model. It is not in the same location as 01-05 models, so please don't state that. I bought a Chilton book that is worthless. There is no help online for it's location either. And so far I have not seen an answer in this forum nor any other forum. I cannot find any (free) service manuals online. And since I now live in CA, cannot take it to parts store for check engine light that is now on.

The original problem is overheating. I replaced the thermostat, didn't work. Found fan runs slow when a/c is on, but no high speed. Have found the low speed relays and they test out ok. Figure it must be the high speed relay not working, but where is it located for replacement/testing???????

For now I will connect thru one of the relays on the fan shroud to a spot in the fuse box that only has power while the ign is on. The fan runs when power is applied to #87 port of the relay.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What is relay location???

Welcome to the forums.
You say "Have found the low speed relays and they test out ok" - there should only be one - the other would be high speed relay.
Try pulling one of the relays out & starting with A/C on - bet it'll work with only 1 relay.
Lots of times when fan dies, it dies on one speed only...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There are 2 relays attached to the fan shroud. They are the exact same relay (same shape, part number and pin configuration). Both relays test out good (that is according the Manufactures method and the Chilton manual).

Yes, only one speed is working, the high speed when there is power applied to the fan. I replaced both relays with a brand new one and still no fan like it should.

The high speed relay is a different shape and pin configuration. BUT, where is it located???? That is the million dollar question.........
Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It makes no sense that there would be TWO relays for one speed - one is for low, the other for high speed, and it makes sense they would be identical.
I see you are in the other thread about an '01 overheating issue - they would not change for '07 what would not need to be changed.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Aug 2011, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have up loaded photos of the engine bay area. If you think they did not change things, you are GREATLY mistaken!!!! The fuse box is different then other year models.

As for the relays, look up on ANY automotive parts site and you will find that the HIGH SPEED RELAY and the LOW SPEED RELAY are different in shape, size and pin configuration.

List: Cooling Fan Motor Relay - 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Old 10 Aug 2011, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpate5 View Post

As for the relays, look up on ANY automotive parts site and you will find that the HIGH SPEED RELAY and the LOW SPEED RELAY are different in shape, size and pin configuration.
Yes your right...but only for the 2001 to 2005 PT Cruisers.

The relays in the site you linked to, that's the 2001 models and yes they area different shape and configuration and they are located in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) under the hood. There is also another fuse box in the interior for the 2001 to 2005 models. In 2006 there is only one box under the hood called the IPM (Integrated Power Module) and they moved the relays for the fan to the shroud and they look the same.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Aug 2011, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes your right...but only for the 2001 to 2005 PT Cruisers.

The relays in the site you linked to, that's the 2001 models and yes they area different shape and configuration and they are located in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) under the hood. There is also another fuse box in the interior for the 2001 to 2005 models. In 2006 there is only one box under the hood called the IPM (Integrated Power Module) and they moved the relays for the fan to the shroud and they look the same.
Where are you finding this information?????? The parts stores still have the high speed fan relay listed differently for the 2007 models and my chilton manual does not make any referrences to them being the same. Likewise, there is no information on the web regarding the relays being the same. As for now, I have pulled the fan assembly and will be replacing the motor brushes. I have posted pics of them in my photo album as well.

I appreciate the help, but the frustration level has been too high with the lack of info out there for this year of car. If I had my way, I would stick to rear wheel drive, less electric vehicles....
Old 10 Aug 2011, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Forget about the Haynes and Chilton Manuals for the 01-09 Cruisers. I have them and the 01-03 Haynes and Chilton Manuals and so far they are about the same. They don't show the new location of the Crankshaft Position Sensor since they moved them in 2004, still showing the old location above the oil filter and all the wiring diagrams in the back of the books look the same even though a lot of things changed in 2006 with the re-vamp of the electrical system.

As far as the relays, no it doesn't say anything in the books, but I know they moved them in the 2006+ models to the shroud instead of the Power Box in the engine compartment and from what others have said, they are both the same. No big and small one, just two (the same) relays attached to the shroud.

Also as I was helping others find a new fan on eBay, you can see the relays on the newer model fans and they look exactly the same. Look at the eBay link for the 06-10 fan and look at the corner of the fan for the two relays. Sure look the same to me. Maybe internally, they are different. Maybe I'm wrong altogether .....I've been wrong before.

BRAND NEW! RADIATOR FAN MODULE 06-10 PT CRUISER | eBay
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In my 07 model, the 2 relays on the fan shroud and the 2 relays on the firewall are all the same. All have the same part numbers on them.

I just looked at an 05 turbo PT Cruiser and the temperature is in the same location as mine. The owner said that she has had over $4000 worth of work done since she bought it. Part of that was having the fan replaced which was under warranty.

I have ordered the motor brushes from the company listed in The radiator fan fix

They should be here within 2 days. I posted the photos of the brushes. One was toast and another one worn. I ponder if this is why the fan was not working properly. I plan on putting everything back together and seeing what happens. I replaced the temp sensor today.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 03:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll post a pic from the OEM service manual for you on the fan info. However, there is an entire section, way too large to post here, on diagnosing the fan problems. Looks pretty simple to diagnose, if you are into technical documents. I'll PM you on that.

According to this, the fan relays are in the PDC with all the other fuses. Pop the PDC cover off and it will tell you which relays they are.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!

Last edited by Chromenut; 11 Aug 2011 at 03:25 am.