PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
transmission?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2011, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question transmission?

Hi all!
I have a 2001 pt with approx. 222,000kms maybe more.
I had my timing belt done pretty much exactly a year ago.
I just had an oil change last week and was said my fluids had been checked.
Sunday night while driving for approx. 10-15mins my car jerked, and then jerked aga the engine light came on I looked at the rpms and it was just jumping up and down, I pulled over tried to drive as I hit 50km it would jump, I pulled over checked the transmission fluid and it was empty, I had someone bring me transmission fluid, filled it up, and the problem was gone. About 10-15mins later, the problem came back. It got to the point as soon as I'd start to drive and hit 20kms it would be so bad, the car would died with the engine light going off and the oil light coming on. It would start up fine but wouldn't make it far before turning back off. Could this be my transmission? Or something else? Eveery time I've needed help and asked on here I always get great advice and help which is usually the problem so thought I would ask, my car ended up being towed, I didn't want to risk it dying in the city, so I can't check the engine code.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 10:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: transmission?

Your trans fluid was empty? Geeze! You may have opened a Pandora's Jar by not checking your fluid in a timely manner (like you need me to tell you, right?).

I wonder if you have overfilled your transmission now?

Also, I wonder where all the fluid went?

Tim
Old 09 Aug 2011, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Your trans fluid was empty? Geeze! You may have opened a Pandora's Jar by not checking your fluid in a timely manner (like you need me to tell you, right?).

I wonder if you have overfilled your transmission now?

Also, I wonder where all the fluid went?

Tim
See I JUST had my oil changed last week, along with my brakes done, he said he checked the fluids and they were all good. So I guess I just "assumed" he did... Baddddd idea! Lol

When I added it, it was like 3/4 full and when we checked it after pulling over oh, about 10times it still said the same thing.

When I called my dad he said the same thing about where the fluid went.

Where my car is now called me tonight and said its the cam sensor. Which I've seen a few other posts on here about, but my car wasn't acting the same as them, way worse. So now I'm wondering if that's just the code its reading, and if they checked the transmission at all....

Being a girl, I may be wrong, but could it be the code is saying the cam sensor and nothing about the transmission? Would it have to be checked to see? Or could I end up having both issues? I'm sure I'm over reacting and its probably just the cam sensor. I was pretty worried, I made 2 trips this week being 2hour drives both ways so 8hours total, if the transmission fluid was empty, I'd of screwed it pretty bad, or started some serious damage... :s
Old 09 Aug 2011, 10:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Stace, if the trans was three-quarters full, then I doubt that you burned it up. But unless you have seen a lot of leakage where you park the PT, then I'd say the mechanic who checked your fluids, forgot to check the trans.

After the PT is running again, make sure you do your own fluid checks. "Girls" can actually do this, too--despite what manly men make think!

You can actually check your (I assume it's an automatic transmission, you have) transmission fluid when the car is cold. Just start up the engine and go through all the gears; then put the car in PARK. Leave the engine running. Put the Parking Brake on! Then make sure at least one minute has passed, and pull out the transmission dipstick and wipe it clean. Stick it back in--all the way--and pull it out again. The fluid should be between the two LOWER holes in the dipstick. If the engine has been running for a long time, however, and is nice and hot, then the fluid level should be between the two upper holes on the dipstick.

Also, you used ATF+4 automatic trans fluid, right? Nothing else will do!

Get a Hayne's Manual for your year PT, and read how to do all the checking yourself. Then you won't have to depend on mechanics to twll you how to keep your baby fed properly.

Keep us posted.

Tim
Old 10 Aug 2011, 12:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Stace, I mentioned the Hayne's Manual in my previous post. It's a good idea to get one and browse through the maintenance sections, if nothing else; however, the procedure I mentioned for checking the automatic transmission fluid while the engine is cold is actually in the PT Cruiser Owner's Manual that you, hopefully, have.

Good luck.

Tim
Old 11 Aug 2011, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Stace, I mentioned the Hayne's Manual in my previous post. It's a good idea to get one and browse through the maintenance sections, if nothing else; however, the procedure I mentioned for checking the automatic transmission fluid while the engine is cold is actually in the PT Cruiser Owner's Manual that you, hopefully, have.

Good luck.

Tim
I know how to check my fluids I just didn't because it was said they were just changed.

I got my car back yesterday, with a new cam censor. Drove a small amount yesterday, today I got the car warmed up, again travelled about 15mins andddddd the car started doing it AGAIN!!! The jerking part where it feels like if you were driving stick like you let off your clutch to fast. And the rpm gage would jump when the car jerk, so I took it to a shop my car normally goes to, I checked the code before I went it, saying 1309 the cam sensor.... Wtf?! He said it'll be the crank sensor then, if the car was built with one, if not then it'll be a wiring issue?

Yes? No? This is now the 4th time in the last month the car has been in the shop.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If they didn't use a Mopar cam sensor - that's the problem.
If it were your tranny you'd get a P0700 code.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Aug 2011, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

If a transmission is seriously damaged (busted gears, pump out of whack, etc) it won't run at all. A common malady in an auto is that certain gears stop working altogether, as the clutches wear completely out. A transmission usually goes slooowly. You KNOW theres a problem coming you can feel it. That being said its not impossible to trash it. I had a mustang with an OLLLLLD tranny, something like 80k miles on it (that's ANCIENT in ford years). It would slip in and out of 4th gear on the freeway, I pushed that thing for another 10k miles before one day it never went back into gear. When I pulled that thing apart the clutches just sort of disintegrated. I had a firebird that shifted REALLY hard into 2nd, less so into 3rd, so much I lost my lead foot. I took that thing apart one day and found the accumulator cracked and hanging by a thread. It ran perfectly well (that is the car drove) with an integral part leaking like crazy.

My point is I don't think the bucking and sudden near stall are transmission related.

When the car is stalling and in gear, being there are only 4 cylinders, the violence of it misfiring, failing to run smoothly is very apparent. The whole car bucks and jerks. In a V8 you can lose a cylinder and still drive it home, backfiring the whole way.

You really can't "check" an automatic transmission. If the car runs, it has fluid, you put it in gear and check each position. If you feel it go into gear, you are 80% of the way there. Drive the car and see if it shifts 1-2-3-4. Hit it hard in 4th, it should drop to 3rd. Hit it hard in 3rd, it should go to 2nd. Now reverse goes backwards right? It works. They don't work great for a while then stop.

The cam sensor code indicates that CPS has an erratic or missing signal. All it consists of is a magnet on the camshaft (the bit that hits the valves being spun by the timing belt - ultimately turned by the crankshaft) and that it has passed the sensor. The sensor itself is just a coil of wire essentially. There is a magnet embedded in the end of the camshaft and when it passes that coil, a small pulse is seen at the PCM, and the brain "knows" where the camshaft is that instant.

BTW, there IS a code for crankshaft sensor, separate from the camshaft sensor. The 2 work together, and I agree that the crank sensor is "a" way to go, Maybe more work should be done besides the keydance and looking it up.

If the car runs well while cold, but starts to buck when warm, maybe you should let it idle until it gets warm. This way you see the transmission isn't the issue.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
If a transmission is seriously damaged (busted gears, pump out of whack, etc) it won't run at all. A common malady in an auto is that certain gears stop working altogether, as the clutches wear completely out. A transmission usually goes slooowly. You KNOW theres a problem coming you can feel it. That being said its not impossible to trash it. I had a mustang with an OLLLLLD tranny, something like 80k miles on it (that's ANCIENT in ford years). It would slip in and out of 4th gear on the freeway, I pushed that thing for another 10k miles before one day it never went back into gear. When I pulled that thing apart the clutches just sort of disintegrated. I had a firebird that shifted REALLY hard into 2nd, less so into 3rd, so much I lost my lead foot. I took that thing apart one day and found the accumulator cracked and hanging by a thread. It ran perfectly well (that is the car drove) with an integral part leaking like crazy.

My point is I don't think the bucking and sudden near stall are transmission related.

When the car is stalling and in gear, being there are only 4 cylinders, the violence of it misfiring, failing to run smoothly is very apparent. The whole car bucks and jerks. In a V8 you can lose a cylinder and still drive it home, backfiring the whole way.

You really can't "check" an automatic transmission. If the car runs, it has fluid, you put it in gear and check each position. If you feel it go into gear, you are 80% of the way there. Drive the car and see if it shifts 1-2-3-4. Hit it hard in 4th, it should drop to 3rd. Hit it hard in 3rd, it should go to 2nd. Now reverse goes backwards right? It works. They don't work great for a while then stop.

The cam sensor code indicates that CPS has an erratic or missing signal. All it consists of is a magnet on the camshaft (the bit that hits the valves being spun by the timing belt - ultimately turned by the crankshaft) and that it has passed the sensor. The sensor itself is just a coil of wire essentially. There is a magnet embedded in the end of the camshaft and when it passes that coil, a small pulse is seen at the PCM, and the brain "knows" where the camshaft is that instant.

BTW, there IS a code for crankshaft sensor, separate from the camshaft sensor. The 2 work together, and I agree that the crank sensor is "a" way to go, Maybe more work should be done besides the keydance and looking it up.

If the car runs well while cold, but starts to buck when warm, maybe you should let it idle until it gets warm. This way you see the transmission isn't the issue.
Hahaaaa oh jeeeze! If I had a mustang, I'd be super upset if the tranny went that's a sad story!

Ya, it only does it when its warmed up. I did notice yesterday that it was shifting hard going from 2nd to 3rd. I thought it mighta played a toll on it from Sunday when I apparently was driving with my tranny fluid in it. I was kinda worried. I have 2 kids and I sooooo don't want to be without a car!!

Thank you VERY much!! The shop its at today hooked it up and it said it was one of the 2 sensors or a wiring issue. This is the shop it normally goes to, but also the shop that said they checked my fluids, giving it back with no tranny fluid :S but he also replased the cam sensor this time last year 20,000kms ago when he did my timing belt. Apparently they don't last long....
Old 11 Aug 2011, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, also, on Sunday when it was bucking and jerking and dying, uit most definitly was NOT in a gear lol it wouldn't get into a gear at all near the end when I finally said effffff this!! I'd start it up, pull on the road and pull off cause it'd die instantly. Today it wasn't as bad, it still jerked/bucked hard but it would just jump between gears like jump up and down in different gears. Today it was just while going 90kms but no issues other then the engine light and the jerking, sunday it started when I was going 100kms, then I couldn't go more then 80kms, then 50kms, then not even over 20kms it was soooo bad and kept dying. So not as bad, More so just super annoying. I can drive stick shift, and never have the car jerk that much lol. Let's just hope this time it gets fixed, quickly and right! This is the 4th time its been in having something done to it in the last month. Goooooodbye all my money!! Lol

Last edited by Stace22; 11 Aug 2011 at 10:42 pm. Reason: forgot to say something

Tags
jerks, rpm jumps, transmission