Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
At wit's end-2007 non-turbo-A/C problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2011, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default At wit's end-2007 non-turbo-A/C problem

I am dealing with a 2007, non-turbo with an air conditioning problem. We have been told by the "stealer" this is a compressor problem which they can fix for $1500. Other independent Mechanics say it is a switch, sensor or wiring problem that could take many, many hours to trace.

I filled the system to the correct low-side pressure a couple of days ago. It cooled just fine. A few hours later my son-in-law tried it out. After starting the car and turning on the A/C; he started hearing a hissing or gas venting sound and the cooling gradually went away.

An on-line (non-MOPAR) A/C expert said it is a bad sensor that is not telling the ECM to turn the fans on which in-turn raises the pressure to the point that the relief valve pops open. We have also had this diagnosis from another, local, semi-pro technician.

Could this be the elusive "high-pressure" swith that is said to be located on the compressor or near by in the high pressure line? I think I have found the replacement part but I want to be absolutly sure of the location before I order the part and take it to the guy to install.

I am assuming that it is not the low-pressure cycling switch located on the dryer near the low pressure port.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 03:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: At wit's end-2007 non-turbo-A/C problem

I finally got a chance to inspect my compressor and to my surprise I found a "pressure relief valve". It is located on the bottom of the back plate of the compressor. It appears to me to be a "burst disc" type of pressure relief. I didn't remove it to confirm. Burst discs are one time use only. If it has "burst" it must be replaced. The parts manual does not show the valve as a separate part from the compressor.

You mention that you filled the system to the correct low side pressure. Maybe your 2007 is different, but most automobile A/C systems (including my 2002 PT) are charged by refrigerant weight, not by pressure. Pressure/temperature charts in the FSM are for checking the system. If the check shows incorrect level of refrigerant, the standard procedure is to recover the refrigerant, evacuate the sytem and then fill with the specified weight of refrigerant.

Other information that may be helpful:
1. The low pressure switch is for cycling the compressor when the heat load is low.
2. The high pressure switch is to protect the compressor from high discharge pressure.
3. A non-functioning low speed fan will cause high system pressures at idle.

If the relief valve is venting it is either broken or the high pressure switch is broken. The reasons for high discharge pressure are: (1) restriction on the discharge or liquid line, (2) too much refrigerant and (3) non-functioning low speed fan.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...and the answer IS .......drum roll..........the fan !!!!!

It's the number one cause for warm air from the A/C system and for the discharge out of the compressor.

Do this: Let everything get cold. Turn the engine on, turn the A/C on. Go to the engine and see if the fan is running. It's supposed to come on as soon as the A/C is turned on no matter how cold/hot the engine is. If the fan isn't running, replace it.

P.S. Don't forget that your system has been dispersing the R134a into the atmosphere when the pressure built up so you might have to recharge it again when you replace the fan.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 04:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just for the heck of it I paid attention when I started my car ( 2006 touring na ) and the fan comes on as soon as the car starts if the AC is on or not. I have only heard the fan running at one speed. I guess when I get some time I will have to do some checking.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 02:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's that high speed not working that gets ya!

Tim
Old 22 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Is the fan bad even though it kicks on after car is running a while?
Old 22 Aug 2011, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

bigdee,

The fan won't come on till the temperature raises to a certain point, that's normal. IF, the A/C is turned on at any time, the fan should also kick on.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 03:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I first start car and put a/c on, a/c blows hot. At this point, cooling fan is NOT on. After temp gauge in cab gets to about half way, cooling fan kicks on. At this point, a/c is still blowing hot. I could change out fan, but do you think that's the problem?

Last edited by bigdee; 22 Aug 2011 at 03:51 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's not THE problem, it's certainly A problem. First you need to find out if both fan speeds are working, then IF they are, you need to find out why it's not coming on when the A/C is turned on.

Old 23 Aug 2011, 11:53 am
Young Cruiser

From BigDee's other posts (2007 pt cruiser a/c blowing hot) the compressor is not engaging. You need to determine why the compressor is not engaging before worrying about the fan. I put some more tips on your other post.

Tags
a/c, air conditioning, pressure, sensor, switch