stop lights not working...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yaris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2011, 06:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Default stop lights not working...

2006 pt N/A, base

I have a problem with my stop lights, only the top/center one works, the two in the rear lights assemblies don't.

the grounds are goods and the parkings works.
the bulbs are goods.
connections at the lights are goods.
the brake pedal switch must be good as the center/top stop light works.

so? where can my problem be, anyone have an idea other than stripping down the wiring from the rear to the front?

also, is there any other fuses box than the one under the hood?

thanks
mpage likes this.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 07:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: stop lights not working...

The center brake is powered by the cluster and the other two by the totally integrated power module. I would make sure you have power in and out of there before doing anything else.

The input from the brake switch is connector 3 pin 7 of the tipm (grn/white wire) and the output to the lights c3 pin 13 (orange wire). Check that you have 12 volts in when the brake pedal is pushed and 12 volts out.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Floundering is correct, the cyclops light in the back is run separately. I just went through this whole shebang and it took me several days of testing to find the problem. I happen to have a brake light switch for an '06, still in the box, purchased for troubleshooting but it wasn't the problem, so if you need one let me know, we can work a deal. $10 plus shipping.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

brake switch is good, but no voltage goes in or out the tipm... so I did it the easy way and just ran a wire from the green/white of the cyclope to the white/orange of a tail light
Old 12 Aug 2011, 04:24 am
Regular Cruiser

That's one way to fix it.

If you have no voltage to the tipm but your brake pedal switch output is good (obviously, your 3rd is working) that would suggest a problem in the wiring and most common are splice areas.

There is only one splice and my only concern, it is also the splice for the signal into the abs system. Might be worth a check if you notice problems with your abs. The splice is s113. You might also just try wiggling the harness in that area and see if your brake lights start working again before you go opening up and inspecting it.

Old 12 Aug 2011, 04:28 am
Regular Cruiser

This seems to be a common problem. What did you find with yours anyway Chromenut?
Old 12 Aug 2011, 06:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundering View Post
That's one way to fix it.

If you have no voltage to the tipm but your brake pedal switch output is good (obviously, your 3rd is working) that would suggest a problem in the wiring and most common are splice areas.

There is only one splice and my only concern, it is also the splice for the signal into the abs system. Might be worth a check if you notice problems with your abs. The splice is s113. You might also just try wiggling the harness in that area and see if your brake lights start working again before you go opening up and inspecting it.

can this be a problem even if I don't have ABS?
Old 12 Aug 2011, 08:41 am
Regular Cruiser

With no abs, I can't really see a problem. The splice for the 3rd goes through here also though, so it might give you fits down the road if it is the problem.

Last edited by Floundering; 12 Aug 2011 at 08:55 am.