Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I don't trust mechanics.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2011, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation I don't trust mechanics.....

I just got quoted $4500 out the door by Big O Tires. They consistently rip off my family, so I don't trust what they're saying and I'm wondering if you guys could put in your two cents??

I was having an overheating problem, took it to a shop, they couldn't find any problems and just assumed it was a leak in the line. So, I refilled my coolant a few times in the past year, and had no problems.

Then I was driving down the freeway, probably doing about 65mph. At the same time my check engine light came on, my car just died. No warning signs, no noises, just shut itself down and wouldn't start again.

Had it towed to a shop. They said it was my timing belt (well yeah, and I've now put it together that it was probably the water pump causing my other problems haha). According to them, my timing belt snapped and screwed up everything in my engine. They quoted me $2300 for a rebuilt engine (HAH!!), $1600 in labor, and some additional parts so that they could warranty the engine (spark plugs, wiring, etc), for a total of forty-seven something or $4500 out the door.

I said lets tow that sucker on home, LOL.

I have some knowledge of cars, especially toyota and mitsubishi, but a pt cruiser is a whole other beast for me. I know if I were to find an engine myself or just take it to get the engine rebuilt, it would be much cheaper. But, I dunno about what these guys said, and I'm so broke right now I really can't afford to do too much right now.

THOUGHTS????? HELP?????
Old 11 Aug 2011, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I don't trust mechanics.....

I have a 2001 PT Limited Edition, btw
Old 11 Aug 2011, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

jamie,

Welcome to the forum. The PT engine is a non-interference engine. Plain language: the valves can't hit the pistons when the timing belt breaks but the valves can hit each other if your at speed when the belt breaks. Yours was so that is a possibility that a couple valves need replacing. You don't/shouldn't need a new engine. The timing belt job (and we recommend the belt, tensioner, water pump be changed at the same time) is about $900-1200 with parts. Then if a couple of the valves need replacing, the head has to come off and parts replaced which is somewhere in the neighborhood of another + or - $1500. Nowhere near the price of replacing the engine.

Find another shop. Someone (if possible) knows about the Chrysler 2.4 ltr engine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Aug 2011 at 04:54 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin nailed it, as usual...lol
Old 11 Aug 2011, 04:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

what they said even if you had to replace the head its still cheaper that there quote

that is odd beacuse the Big O my me is really a pretty good shop I dont think they do a lot with engins but as far as tires and alingment they are pretty good
Old 11 Aug 2011, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
I don't think they do a lot with engins but as far as tires and alignment they are pretty good
That's the problem, they are probably quoting worst case scenarios and if you say YES to their quote you can be darn sure they will spend that money whether or not you really need it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 07:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

How many miles on that engine? Sounds like the timing belt broke.

Give AJ a call. Tell him Harry sent you.

AJ's Auto Repair - Mesa, AZ

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 11 Aug 2011, 08:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

I went to Big O for years. Then they started screwing me around. For instance, they rotated my tires and told me I needed front brakes. I put that off for a few months, then went back to have the fronts done. I told them specifically that I was back because they said previously that I needed front brakes. When the job was done I noticed the work order was for my REAR brakes. I asked what was what, and they told me my rear brakes were the problem? Rear brakes before front brakes? No way! I asked to see the brake pads and they had tons of pad still on them. So they said they'd do my front brakes for free. Okay. It was the first time I'd had a problem with them so I thought " ... a complete 4-wheel brake job for the price of two".

So they did the fronts (they'd not been done before and it was at 33,000 miles with OEM lousy Chrysler brake pads). I get on the road and the car is shimmying when I apply the brakes. I drive it back and they say they messed up a front rotor--but they'd replace it for free, which they did.

Then I asked for two new tires in the front--some months later. When they were done, they'd replaced the REAR tires and only then (after I asked what was what) told me about some federal law prohibiting them from replacing the fronts if the rears needed replacing, also. I asked them why they didn't tell me this when I had asked for front tires only. Then I left before they had an answer ....

I have never gone back to Big O since.

Tim
Old 11 Aug 2011, 09:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I just got quoted $4500 out the door by Big O Tires. They consistently rip off my family, so I don't trust what they're saying
Might I inquire as to why you keep going there? (Noting now that you don't. Good)

I second (or third) what Crewzin said. My wife has a 2001 base - her timing belt went accelerating from a light, 2 valves (an exhaust and an intake) were bent. It was 8 hours of labor (maybe 12 not too important), +$150 for the head job at the head shop, some change for the valves, plus water pump tensioner - About $1600 all told, and that was essentially the worst case.

When the water pump goes, it weeps coolant on the ground as the seal between the sides goes. It stops being an effective pump and your car eventually overheats. Probably why the car overheated.

No your motor is not toast. You just had the inevitable timing belt break that we all dread.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 08:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Start asking at auto parts stores for a good mechanic - when you hear the same name come up 2 or 3 times, give them a try.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
engine, mechanics, rebuild, timing belt