Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Catback complete?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2002, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Catback complete?

I am thinking of getting the Mopar Borla cat back dual exhaust system, but I was wondering if I need to get new headers and a high perfomance cat to get better perfomance or if just the catback is enough. Also, I am planning on getting a cold air induction system, will the performance be happered for the catback until I get the new filter?

Old 18 Jul 2002, 01:30 am
Young Cruiser

Kitsune, I have a Borla "cat back" and am real pleased with it. (the duel split is in back of the catalytic converter). Since an engine is like an air pump. The bigger the intake the more exhaust volume needed. A cat back really dosn't help much in the HP department as it is still restricted by the single stock header and pipe in front of the converter. If you install a new header & increase the volume between the header to converter path, you are bound to have an increase of HP over the stock header with the cat back. There is a big difference in sounding good and adding significant HP. I went for the cool sound. My 5-speed is pretty peppy as is. Even if I had a turbo, I don't think it would be enough. When cruising, I get everything including Corvettes trying to race me. It just isn't going to happen!! I don't street race and it drives then nuts, they think I'm holding back or chicken. I just laugh at em. One guy asked if I had a 6 or an 8. When I tell them it's only got 4, you get some strange reactions. In the past I have had my muscle cars and they were fun, but I got to many tickets because when you got the horses, you tend to use em. The PT gives me all the fun without the risk. But thats just me. I still think the PT is the coolest car out there. Just be careful, not all the HP claims are real. A dyno test can be a real sobering experience.

Edited by - 2coolpt on 07/18/2002 00:31:32
Old 18 Jul 2002, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to renichms

A header and higher flow cat-converter would help, I think. However, from all sources I've seen, high flow cat-converters are sold as replacements for damaged ones only. Also, as someone pointed out on other forums, free flow doesn't always help...depends on what else you have done.

RN

See Mephisto
Old 20 Jul 2002, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PtPaully

Cool pt how did you make your side marker Clear????thanks

Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Gotta a question,
Does anyone know who the vendor is for a replacement downpipe for the PTC. I had searched the internet awhile back when we got our PTC. But when I printed the picture the website address did not print onto the page. It was selling for about $330.00 it was made of stainless steel and you could have gotten it polished. It was a 21/2" pipe setup. If anyone knows of this please drop a line.
Gman

Old 28 Jul 2002, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

2coolPT, I am looking at the Mopar/Borla "cat back" myself, perhaps you can supply me with some more info. I have heard that some dual exhaust systems interfere with the spare tire, is the borla one of those?