Advertisements
TPS

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arsenalfcth14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2011, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default TPS

Hey all, I got code p0123 and check engine light about a week ago. Went away within 3 starts. Yesterday the throttle got stuck open briefly and revved to about 4K RPM then the check engine light came back on. Same code p0123.
Since this is a high voltage reading on the TPS from the code should I replace it altogether or just check the connection again. I checked it before and it's tight and nothing is melted or broken, etc. Don't want to replace something I don't have to though.

Also does anyone know what size torx screws those are? Look like T40 or so....

OOps 2006 PT 78,500 miles Base model.

NOPE IT'S A T25 TORX.

Last edited by arsenalfcth14; 24 Aug 2011 at 11:35 am.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: TPS

If you've already looked at it and you got the same code twice, I'd replace it. Just went out to see which Torx you need but the engine is too hot to get to it. Not easy as the bolts face back towards the firewall. Hopefully you have a small set of Torx from T15 to T40 which will fit most of what ever you need.

If it was the IAC, you can take it off and clean it up but the TPS you can't do that.

They sell Torx in allen type wrenches, screw drivers and socket sets.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah that's what I was going to get, one of those socket sets for torx screws. I don't even think a stubby driver would fit. It doesn't look like it's going to be comfortable but it shouldn't be all that difficult. Just have to index it correctly and reconnect it. I agree,the tightness between the firewall and sensor is very limited. I'll post that size torx when I know for sure.

It's a T-25 and you can get a flex head 3/8 back there without moving anything around...but would be easier to remove at least two of the throttle body bolts and removing the IAC and just tip it toward you a bit. Still way too hard to leave the throttle body in tact. Better to remove it and replace the TPS.
RalphE likes this.

Last edited by arsenalfcth14; 24 Aug 2011 at 10:39 am.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

T 40 is IMMENSE

I'd stay in the T10-20 range

T15 's common for small fasteners
Old 12 Aug 2011, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
T 40 is IMMENSE

I'd stay in the T10-20 range

T15 's common for small fasteners
Yes your right. I quoted T-40 because most recently I picked up a Torx socket set for a 1/4 drive that went from T-10 to T-45. Should cover just about anything.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yup ain't that big....it's about a T20-T25, the T27 I got is too big, so it's in between the two and will probably require one of those s shaped drivers to remove. It's quite hard to get in there, I removed the mount bolts for the throttle body so I could move forward a little off the firewall. Got the connector off but couldn't get to the screws good enough. I'll have to go buy one of the drivers to get it off. In the meantime the check engine light has gone off, maybe I should just leave it for a bit. I do have an extended warranty for the car, but I think it covers the power train only.....not sure if it covers sensors and all. I'll check though....seems dumb to pay the 100.00 deductible though, part doesn't even cost that. May be worth not having a headache at the end of the day....

Nope that's one of the only things NOT covered by the extended....for some reason......oh boy....

Last edited by arsenalfcth14; 12 Aug 2011 at 05:56 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi I know this thread is old but I don't know how to start a new one
Ok here it goes I have a 2007 pt cruiser with 108,000 miles on it within the last 2 months I've replaced the timing belt fuel pump water pump radiator and the thermostat. For a couple weeks it has been idling rough and this morning the check engine light came on and I did the key dance and it showed p0123 tps high voltage. I kept driving it (is that bad?) I went to work and 8 hours later when i left work no more check engine. So my question or more like I need advice. Is this serious? Should I get this checked asap? Can I do it myself? I'm on a budget and with all the other repairs I've done i can use any savings. Thanks in advance I love my pt it's my second one!!! But lately it's been a love/hate relationship.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillyvanilly View Post
Hi I know this thread is old but I don't know how to start a new one
Ok here it goes I have a 2007 pt cruiser with 108,000 miles on it within the last 2 months I've replaced the timing belt fuel pump water pump radiator and the thermostat. For a couple weeks it has been idling rough and this morning the check engine light came on and I did the key dance and it showed p0123 tps high voltage. I kept driving it (is that bad?) I went to work and 8 hours later when i left work no more check engine. So my question or more like I need advice. Is this serious? Should I get this checked asap? Can I do it myself? I'm on a budget and with all the other repairs I've done i can use any savings. Thanks in advance I love my pt it's my second one!!! But lately it's been a love/hate relationship.
I saw your post on another thread, you can test it via the link
TPS: Throttle Position Sensor on Chrysler vehicles or replace it for about $75
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 195/65r15
AKA "Banana Car"