Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can anyone help me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can anyone help me?

I have a 2003 PT Turbo. I'm the original owner. I've never had a problem with the car and put 61, 000 miles on it trouble free. This has all changed.

I started getting check engine lights and replaced the map sensor. Check engine light again and replace that sensor with a factory sensor.

Check engine light again and replaced top 02 sensor. Engine light again, replaced bottom 02 sensor. These repairs were done where I bought the car, now a former Chrysler dealer. Put $1000. into sensor replacements and the former dealer said they could do no more to help me. I drove the car in and had to have it towed out of the shop.

Next shop tells me a piston has fallen into the bottom of the engine, perhaps from poor air/ fuel mixture and has ruined the bottom of the engine. They want $5000. to repair it with factory parts. They claim most of the cost is for parts.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Bluebook shows the car is only worth $7400.
Is it even worth having it fixed. I'm already a grand into it at the former dealer.

Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks for your time.

Greg
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Can anyone help me?

Dude $7400 for a 03 is a awesome price hard call to make how hard would it be to trade it as is
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:56 pm
Young Cruiser

If the car was running before repairs THEY did something to it, try another repair shop for a free estimate and then see if the problems was a result of the first shop then take it from there; but if you want to trade it in; I agree that $7400 is a good amount, mine is only worth about $3k.

I personally say that if the repair is more than the car is worth, it is probably time to move on. It depends how attached one is to the vehicle.
DO NOT TAKE THIS ADVICE: Trade in the car somewhere else that does not know obout the problems (if it still runs decent) and get as much as you can for it. ( If the problems are'nt already in CARFAX.)
Old 12 Aug 2011, 04:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetramp View Post
Next shop tells me a piston has fallen into the bottom of the engine.
This is much more serious than an engine light. The first shop had to blow the engine up. It would have parts hanging out the block or at the least, been knocking loudly.

I would make the chrysler shop do a scan on the computer and tell you what all it shows. At least you can get an idea if the screwed somthing up when they worked on the sensors but if they say theres nothing more they can do, then they probabably dont even have a starscan tool to do this anyway.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 06:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Both shops are a rip! The first shop should refund your money--their efforts did not fix your car, so why should you pay them?

Take the first shop to court and get your money back!

The second shop may, or may not, know whats up? How do they know a piston disintegrated? Did the engine sound like a lot of metal was thrashing around when you first brought it to the first shop? I doubt the engine would even have run if a piston was at the bottom of the engine.

Try someone else. Maybe someone who is not a bunch of idiots--or thieves.

Tim
Old 12 Aug 2011, 06:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Location?

What were the symptom of the car?

Replacement used engine cost around 1-3k.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 12 Aug 2011, 11:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
Location?

What were the symptom of the car?

Replacement used engine cost around 1-3k.

I'm in No. Calif. I had to have the car towed 80 miles away to Chico. That's where I found someone who was willing to fix it.

Car orininally stalled constantly. Took it to shop #1, they replaced a map sensor and the car was fine. The check engine light came on again after about 250 miles, but the car ran fine. It ran fine until the former dealer told me not to drive it and tow it to someone who knew how to fix it.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 12:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetramp View Post
I'm in No. Calif. I had to have the car towed 80 miles away to Chico. That's where I found someone who was willing to fix it.

Car orininally stalled constantly. Took it to shop #1, they replaced a map sensor and the car was fine. The check engine light came on again after about 250 miles, but the car ran fine. It ran fine until the former dealer told me not to drive it and tow it to someone who knew how to fix it.
Where in Northern Cali?

I'm in Salinas which is in the Monterey County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 13 Aug 2011, 12:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Given that her (?) user name is TahoeTramp and Chico is 80 miles away, I'd say South Lake Tahoe is a good guess....

One thing I am confused about in this matter: Before you stopped driving it and had it towed, was it doing anything weird *other* than the check engine light? That's a key point. Have you run it or driven it since it's been at the shop in Chico?

How come you went towards Chico and not into Sacramento? There are a couple decent Chrysler dealers here... Sadly Great Valley is no more, they were good people, but there are other options. Chico is, well, not my first choice for anything except pot and booze.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 12:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Until some one can give you exact verbiage on what's wrong, and why they know that to be true it's hard to give advice - Someone needs to verify exactly what's wrong with it.

What does seem to make sense; Some initial problem caused the sensors to
seem as if they're reading out of range, then engine to lean out, then to
break piston.

A broken ring land does not equal catastrophic engine failure.