PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough Idle, Warm A/C, and Cam Sensor Issues!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2011, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough Idle, Warm A/C, and Cam Sensor Issues!

Hello all, I have a 2003 Touring Edition, and I have been having a grand time playing detective with some issues. I'm hoping they all point to one fix, but maybe someone can help me out.
In March of this year, I replaced the Cam Position Sensor per an engine code I received about that time. Things were going great, and a couple weeks ago I replaced the plugs and wires in an effort to get rid of some sluggish acceleration. I used Champion platinums, and also replaced the ignition coil, all with parts purchased through my local Car Quest. Since that time, I have yet again replaced the same sensor and STILL get the light and the RPM limit. This is where it gets interesting. I seem to get the engine light only after the A/C has been running. If I leave it off, everything seems fine. Additionally, the A/C air blows warm at red lights and the car shudders very badly.
I took her to the dealership yesterday, and naturally couldn't get the light to come back on, so after tightening a few belts and a diagnostic, I got her back just for the light to come on no sooner than I left the parking lot. I am not anxious to take it back to the dealer, my wallet kind of hurts. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 12 Aug 2011, 07:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle, Warm A/C, and Cam Sensor Issues!

Welcome to the forum. First you need to change the Camshaft sensor AGAIN, but this time only use a genuine Chrysler part not an after market auto store brand.

Second, you need to find out if your radiator fan is working on both speeds. That's the number one reason why the A/C blows warm.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 07:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey thanks Crewzin, I shall order that part and scope that fan out, I appreciate the help!! Will update with the results!!
Old 17 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum. First you need to change the Camshaft sensor AGAIN, but this time only use a genuine Chrysler part not an after market auto store brand.

Second, you need to find out if your radiator fan is working on both speeds. That's the number one reason why the A/C blows warm.
What does that mean - radiator fan working on both speeds.?
Old 18 Aug 2011, 05:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml42 View Post
What does that mean - radiator fan working on both speeds.?
The answer is quite self explanatory. The fan has two speeds, unless it's a turbo.

It's your first post. How about introducing yourself and say something about a problem your having. Kind of rude to just stick a line into a forum out of the blue.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 06:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

I had the warm air idle issue on my 2007 a while back and it was the fan. Sounds weird, but if the fan isn't working then the idle gets rough and the AC blows warm when stopped. Crewzin was one of the people that told me about it. He is very knowledgable.
Old 31 May 2012, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Rough Idle, Warm A/C, and Cam Sensor Issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfurey15 View Post
Hey thanks Crewzin, I shall order that part and scope that fan out, I appreciate the help!! Will update with the results!!
Hello all! Are you still around rfurey15? I am literally having the EXACT same problem with my 2005 PT Cruiser convertible... Replaced the cam sensor and it worked for exactly a week... And, today the check engine light is back on when I turned the AC on... It happened almost immediately. It was 100 degrees today and I felt like I was melting on my 30 minute drive home from work today. I also have already spent hundreds of dollars and REALLY need your help to tell me what you had to do to fix yours! If anyone else knows... I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again!!