PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
any idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2011, 10:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question any idea?

Hi all
Sooo I posted a few days ago about my car, thinking maybe it was my transmission, soooo here's the quick version maybe someone knows is wrong with my car now.

Sunday night my car started acting up super bad, jerking, rpm gage jumping, I was out of tranny fluid(I know, I know, bad I should of checked/been on top of my fluids, was told the week before when getting an oil change that itd be checked apparently not), filled it, problem stopped for about 15mins, then started again and kept dying. Cam sensor code error.

Wednesday morning it had the cam sensor replaced. Only drove the care home

Thursday after about 15-20mins it started jerking again. Rpm gaged only jumped while the car jerked, no issues.

I took the car into a different shop on Thursday(one I was closer to that normally deals with my car) he said it could be the crank sensor so he was going to start there, if not it'd be a wiring issue.

Today the part comes in, followed by a call to us, he replaced ot but now my car won't start.

Any ideas on why now it won't start? Grrrr... This is sooooo fustrating!!! This is the 4th time in the last month my cars been in the shop.

2001 PT 222000-223000kms on it.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Aug 2011 at 06:56 am. Reason: family forum
Old 12 Aug 2011, 11:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: any idea?

wow, this is not a good time.
I have no advice, i just didn't want to leave and not acknowledge my reading this.
I will see what I can dig up.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 07:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Stace,

Welcome to the forum. You have 138,000 miles on your car. Let me ask a question. Has the timing belt been changed on your PT? That might be the reason it won't start If not, have it looked at to see if it's still in one piece. Even if it is, you need to have it changed NOW. That might be the reason it won't start. It should have been replaced at 100K.

The Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors that are replaced should ONLY come from the Chrysler dealer. Any auto store bought electrical part is crap and won't last very long.

Find out about the timing belt first.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Aug 2011 at 07:05 am.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 07:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Well if it started (barely) before they put the crank sensor in, and then didnt when they were done... They must have done something.

But like CREWZN said, timing belt should be checked. It's easy to check if you dont want to pay someone to.

I had a few random errors like that (no codes though) where my coilpack wasn't giving enough spark... Maybe they could see how much spark it is putting out (if it is at all)?
Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Stace,

Welcome to the forum. You have 138,000 miles on your car. Let me ask a question. Has the timing belt been changed on your PT? That might be the reason it won't start If not, have it looked at to see if it's still in one piece. Even if it is, you need to have it changed NOW. That might be the reason it won't start. It should have been replaced at 100K.

The Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors that are replaced should ONLY come from the Chrysler dealer. Any auto store bought electrical part is crap and won't last very long.

Find out about the timing belt first.

Ya, it was changed exactly a year ago at 200,000kms. It broke while I was driving it. It started just fine when I dropt it off on Thursday. I know they both ordered Chysler parts, just not from the dealer. They're having both sensors coming in from Chysler on Monday. Where it is now did my cam sensor last year with my timing belt.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, you'll just have to wait till the sensors are changed and go from there. Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, you'll just have to wait till the sensors are changed and go from there. Good luck.
Sooooo got my car back.... Had both cam and crank sensors replaced with sensors from chysler dealer. Drove 5mins car started jerking, 10mins later died.... It HAS to be a wiring issue? It wouldn't start back up after it died.

Lucky me, I got to wait for 2 TWO HOURS!!!!! Ive had about enough of my car, sad to say it, but I feel like its just falling apart lately, and costing an arm and a leg.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Where exactly are you taking the car? I honestly don't know much about Chrysler's DRB scan tool, but I know a fair amount about Ford's, GM's, and VW's scan tools and they will totally diagnose sensor issues. I would have to assume that Chrysler's does too. Point being that a dealer should be able to plug the tool into the car and read the output of the sensors to determine if they actually need replacement. I'd wager you can do the same thing with a multimeter, but I don't know the specs.

If wherever you are taking it is "diagnosing" problems that don't actually lead to a fix, you should not be liable for those repairs. In fairness, paying the parts cost is somewhat reasonable (you *are* getting new parts...) but to pay a "professional" labor on non-fixes should not be on you.

Admittedly, some problems are hard to diagnose, but I don't think this one should be. I'm not there so I don't know, but I would take a serious look at the place you're taking it and be sure they're up to this challenge. I am pretty good at fixing cars (and it's not by trade) but sometimes you just gotta realize you are out of your depth and have someone with the right knowledge and the right tools go to work.

Because I'm a great armchair quarterback, tell us a little about the problem... What was the exact circumstance it died today - cruising, accelerating, sitting at a stop? Was it hot or cold out? Did it lose power or just sputter and die? When it died, did lights on the dash come on, or did it just totally conk out? Does the car drive totally normally except when it dies, or does it demonstrate other issues?

What you are describing sounds more like a fuel delivery issue than a spark issue. Bad pump, bad relay, clogged pickup filter. That type of thing. At your mileage, I would imagine a fuel pump could be subject to slow death. How much gas is in your tank?
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
Where exactly are you taking the car? I honestly don't know much about Chrysler's DRB scan tool, but I know a fair amount about Ford's, GM's, and VW's scan tools and they will totally diagnose sensor issues. I would have to assume that Chrysler's does too. Point being that a dealer should be able to plug the tool into the car and read the output of the sensors to determine if they actually need replacement. I'd wager you can do the same thing with a multimeter, but I don't know the specs.

If wherever you are taking it is "diagnosing" problems that don't actually lead to a fix, you should not be liable for those repairs. In fairness, paying the parts cost is somewhat reasonable (you *are* getting new parts...) but to pay a "professional" labor on non-fixes should not be on you.

Admittedly, some problems are hard to diagnose, but I don't think this one should be. I'm not there so I don't know, but I would take a serious look at the place you're taking it and be sure they're up to this challenge. I am pretty good at fixing cars (and it's not by trade) but sometimes you just gotta realize you are out of your depth and have someone with the right knowledge and the right tools go to work.

Because I'm a great armchair quarterback, tell us a little about the problem... What was the exact circumstance it died today - cruising, accelerating, sitting at a stop? Was it hot or cold out? Did it lose power or just sputter and die? When it died, did lights on the dash come on, or did it just totally conk out? Does the car drive totally normally except when it dies, or does it demonstrate other issues?

What you are describing sounds more like a fuel delivery issue than a spark issue. Bad pump, bad relay, clogged pickup filter. That type of thing. At your mileage, I would imagine a fuel pump could be subject to slow death. How much gas is in your tank?
Well I was driving. And it starrted to jerk/sputter, the rpm gage jumped just like before and then all of a sudden it did it and died. Went to 0 on the rpm gage. It was cooler out today then the other days, it was having issues, code still said cam sensor. I think its a wiring issue maybe oh, p.s I wouldn't of known it died other then the rpm gage was at 0 oil light on, and the car was slowing/not picking up speed
Old 16 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

I assume you are not able to immediately restart it after it's died, or are you?

Codes are only starting points - they report the symptom, not necessarily the problem. A cam sensor code could be a wide variety of actual problems, it's just that particular sensor that was affected by the problem.

IME, a bad sensor out of the box - especially if it's a brand name sensor - is unlikely. IME, bad cam sensors will not cause a car to totally die - run poorly, set a light, sure - but sputter and die? Generally not until they have totally failed. That's the type of behavior you see from a crank sensor, but you said that was also replaced.

Similarly unlikely is a wiring problem - modern wiring doesn't tend to just go bad, so unless there are signs of physical damage the chances of the wiring being bad are pretty low. Wiring doesn't fix itself, so if it's broken it will stay broken. The problem you're describing - drive for 20 minutes followed by dead engine sounds fairly predictable, not something you'd see with a wiring issue.

I think you have a different problem - maybe a coil pack, maybe something timing belt related, bad fuel system, etc. Probably not bad wiring, probably not a bad cam sensor.

Tags
cam sensor, crank sensor, won't start