PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Throttle body removal...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2011, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Throttle body removal...

Sorry for being such an a** for posting this question, but how should I remove the throttle body to clean it? I know it's just 3 - 10mm bolts and removing the air box lid, but the sensors and lines connected to it are my issue. This car is very temperamental and I don't want to remove something that causes it to freak out. I need to clean the body and replace the TPS. The TPS is so close to the firewall that removing the throttle body would be the only way to do it. Even though it says you don't have to remove it. It's a 2006 PT Base model BTW. There's the IAC sensor (I think that's what that is) above it and then the purge hose and the throttle cable....forgive the dummy question but any help would be awesome, I checked the site for this already and I don't see anything.

***UPDATED***

Never mind on this post, it's pretty easy. 3 - 10mm bolts and disconnection of all the sensors attached,the purge valve, throttle cable and bracket and air cleaner top and it comes right out. TPS sensor takes a T25 torx bit/driver. Easier to remove the throttle body to replace TPS and disconnect the IAC as they are way too close to the firewall to do it when left in tact. You can, but it's way easier to remove the throttle. You can clean it while your at it. Look up the necessaries on how to install the actual TPS sensor. It's readily available by typing it in on Google.

Last edited by arsenalfcth14; 01 Sep 2011 at 10:28 pm. Reason: updating info.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Throttle body removal...

The other sensor is the IAC (Idle Air Controller). You might, after taking off the rubber hose from the air filter, be able to take just one or two bolts from the throttle body and swivel it so you can gain access to the TPS. Just a thought.

Also, if you have the right tool, a T-25 Torx, 1/4 drive socket set can take the IAC off without too much trouble which gives you plenty of access to the TPS.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Aug 2011 at 10:59 am.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Should I disconnect the IAC too? So it can "swivel" a bit more. Will that screw anything up if I do? (shouldn't but....). I tried to just loosen it completely yesterday but I still couldn't get enough clearance to get to the TPS bolts. Chrysler engineers should be shot for making this entirely too hard. They put torx screws on a sensor that is so close to the firewall that it makes it uber hard to get to them. Sorry, just annoyed as I have only had the car for a little over a month (used from dealership) and I have had to replace two sets of plugs, the plug wires, rotors, rear brakes (fully...shoes and drums) and now this sensor thing. This sensor is one of the only sensors not included in the extended warranty...how lame.

Last edited by arsenalfcth14; 13 Aug 2011 at 11:12 am.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I added a little bit more to my answer about the IAC.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The other sensor is the IAC (Idle Air Controller). You might, after taking off the rubber hose from the air filter, be able to take just one or two bolts from the throttle body and swivel it so you can gain access to the TPS. Just a thought.

Also, if you have the right tool, a T-25 Torx, 1/4 drive socket set can take the IAC off without too much trouble which gives you plenty of access to the TPS.
Swingin' CREWZIN, thanks as usual mate I'll try to do that today.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 11:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I shouldn't have said "plenty of access" as it's still tight in there to work. Also Don't drop any tools while your working ....probably never find them again.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I shouldn't have said "plenty of access" as it's still tight in there to work. Also Don't drop any tools while your working ....probably never find them again.
He heee, yup already done that.....dropped the third throttle body bolt and almost couldn't find it...luckily I did......
Old 20 Nov 2011, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK I admit it I am a klutz...but where is the third 10mm bolt on the throttle body that I need to remove on my 2007 PT so that I can get at the spark plugs? I removed the two in front but cannot find the third one. HELP!!