Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
what are the most common probs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2011, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default what are the most common probs?

I got a 02 cruiser 2 months ago and have had problems since. First the starter wires,then it got hot. I took it to the dealer.. $800 later I had a new timing belt &water pump. And was told some had taken out my engine light. Then motor mount is bad,ac goes out,starts leaking Trans fluid (that will cost $300 to fix), shifter cable jammed and popped out,it got hot again (another $300 for fan),the battery went bad,fog light switch don't work so the stay on (I pulled the fuse), the pcv hose had been replaced with a piece of hose so it was all bent up and sucking air, and now I think it needs rings because it wont go uphill without losing 5mph and it smokes when I floor it. So is it just my car is crap or is the brand crap? It seems I hear alot of complaint about pt air no power problems.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: what are the most common probs?

Really, the only power problems are the folks that didn't test drive the car before they bought it. NOW, they want it to act like a turbo. A little homework would have done them some good. Mine's 11 years old going on 110,000 miles and it will keep up with 99% of the traffic. Nothing special but a good tune up, Mobil 1 oil and tire in the air always keep up.

Yo bought a used car and whoever had it first didn't take care of it, period. Please don't blame the car.

Yes, there are a couple of bad points including the fan and for some people, front wheel bearings, and the multi-function switch. Again, out of all three, the only problem I've had was the fan.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 04:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Doubt very much the engine needs new rings. The PCV hose being all bunged up would be what is causing pressure build up in the crankcase and oil burn. The other things you mentioned are pretty much what the car has.... I just bought my 2002 PT and love the car. Had engine light for leak detection pump that the previous oqner said would need the gas tank dropped to fix..... was a broken wire for the LDP under the car by gas tank... 10 minute job to fix, no more engine light. Typical TCL right after I bought it... like water pump, timing belt, (what the hell head gasket too even though it didn't need one) and accy drive belts. Lower engine strut was shot also. Original fan didn't have low speed so a new one of those. Still love the car with 106,000 miles. Body is perfect and drive train is now done. So yer not alone..... the car is 9 years old and I expected some fixin.... still love the car..... much better than my Neon in all aspects.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I like the inside and handling but power wise everyone leaves me behind. If I take off sorta hard at a light it goes up to 5000 rpm before it gets to 45mph.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 06:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

At 5K RPM you're way out of the torque band the engine lays down way before. The 2.4L NA isn't the most effecient powerplant I've seen over the years and power doesn't match the potential. Hightop pistons but piston sunk way down the bore at TDC baffles me..... most likely for swirl effect.... emissions. Would rather see flat tops and valve reliefs where the piston top is at the deck height.... but that's just me.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 07:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Yeah I like the inside and handling but power wise everyone leaves me behind. If I take off sorta hard at a light it goes up to 5000 rpm before it gets to 45mph.
Yeah I felt the same way with my 01 N/A...that's why I bought a GT 5 speed last year...now I leave everyone behind
Old 14 Aug 2011, 07:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Call me crazy, but I don't go much above the speed limit (well, maybe five miles, or so). So I've never really had a problem with the spped and acceleration of our PT. If I had wanted "jet-zoom" properties, I would have bought a Porche or Corvette or an old muscle car from the "60's. I also haven't had a speeding ticket or since 1976.

I just get in it and drive--and it takes me where I want to go....

Tim
Old 15 Aug 2011, 09:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: what are the most common probs?

Well i dont expect a jet out of a small motor. But i had a 1986 ranger with a 2.3 that would lap this car. I think i might need some trans work on it. Its been shifting hard out of 1st, it sorta kicks twice as it goes to 2nd. I was driving on i75 goin 80 and after traveling 3 hours at that speed when i slowed down to nrmal speeds the felt weak and didnt want to shift down.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 01:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Well i dont expect a jet out of a small motor. But i had a 1986 ranger with a 2.3 that would lap this car. I think i might need some trans work on it. Its been shifting hard out of 1st, it sorta kicks twice as it goes to 2nd. I was driving on i75 goin 80 and after traveling 3 hours at that speed when i slowed down to nrmal speeds the felt weak and didnt want to shift down.
Honestly my wife drives her n/a faster than I do my diet turbo, but definitely the n/a is not a car known for power or speed (its my light foot and no desire to spend for gas that keeps me from putting my foot into it all day). Its heavy, not aerodynamic at all, and in my opinion a bit underpowered (base model). Precisely why I got the turbo - its enough to hit the gas and pass folks in a hurry.

As for the tranny, Its a little tough getting into 2nd for sure. Mine definitely is - I've noticed that for sure. Dunno about hitting twice, but its fairly hard, and amplified if I let off the gas while its happening (like in stop and go traffic).

A lot of what you've described here aren't "common issues":

(timing belt at 90-100k, radiator fan, bushings/tie-rod ends, wheel bearings, motor mounts (actually torque assembly), multi-switch (foglights) are some of the things I see ehre all the time. )

Some of what you've described happen to every car. I don't see anything wrong here but a run of bad luck

Yup, and I think my 2.8L V6 firebird from the late 90's would outpace my wifes car, no matter how she drives. It just gets a higher top speed since the final ratio is less steep.