Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Streaks on brand new rotors...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Streaks on brand new rotors...

Ok what's the deal here? Took the PT to the mechanic to have the brakes inspected. He just did the rear brakes (new drums and shoes). There was a thumping in the rear and pulsation in the pedal. That thumping from the rear has since gone away. I had him check them again anyway. He said the rotors were warped. So I replaced them on Thursday, last week. Brand new Napa premium rotors. Pads were said to be 75%, so I didn't replace those. I now have two streaks on the rotors and the wheels seem to be pretty hot after a trip (short is the only thing I take it on at the moment). They shake a bit when applying the brakes at higher speeds and doing the "panic" stops. I checked the sliding bolts when I replaced the rotors and torqued the wheels correctly as well (110lbs on a torque wrench) so these shouldn't be factors. Should I just replace the pads too, now? (As they probably endured some un-even wear with the previous warped rotors), I know that's what you usually do in the first place but... Should that rid me of the streaks and hot wheel issue?

It's fairly strange that this happened. I did two brake jobs on my 04 Scion XB and turned the rotors twice with no issues at all with 86K miles. It had rear drums too. I don't understand why this car is so temperamental to fix.

Oh yeah, bought it used from a dealership around my hood. I had it inspected by a mechanic after I bought it. Said that the rear brakes needed replacement. Didn't need that. I had it done anyway. Said the rotors were fine, they weren't. Said the front pads had 75% left and that seemed to be correct so I just didn't replace those to save a little cash. Maybe that wasn't the smartest thing to do?

The PT is an 06 with 78,500miles - base model.

Last edited by arsenalfcth14; 15 Aug 2011 at 11:47 am. Reason: adding info.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Streaks on brand new rotors...

when we put on new rotors we ALWAYS replace the pads like you said you are replacing the rotors beacuse of some reason adn the pads make direct contact im not sure about the brake shake that would normaly be the rotors but if they are new it shouldnt be them
the brakes will get hot on short runs no matter what but id go ahead and replace the pads its a quick fix
Old 15 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
when we put on new rotors we ALWAYS replace the pads like you said you are replacing the rotors beacuse of some reason adn the pads make direct contact im not sure about the brake shake that would normaly be the rotors but if they are new it shouldnt be them
the brakes will get hot on short runs no matter what but id go ahead and replace the pads its a quick fix
Thank mate...I'll do it....hope it fixes the sitch.....OE's are semi-metallic and that should be fine to replace with, correct.....
Old 15 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Yes ive heard to always replace pads when u replace rotors because the pads become shapped to work best with the other rotor..

Hmm how to put it..

Yes! Its like gel shoe inserts. After a while of the first owners feet wearing them they eventually get an indent of that persons foot, thus being more comfortable to that person. If by some odd chance yougave that shoe to someone else to wear, their foot is shaped differently thus causing the shape of the foot indented in the pad to not match up. This would cause discomfort in some areas. Same with rotors and pads. Even though the gel insert in the shoe is still effective, once the foot inside the shoe changes the insert should be changed as well.

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 15 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
Yes ive heard to always replace pads when u replace rotors because the pads become shapped to work best with the other rotor..

Hmm how to put it..

Yes! Its like gel shoe inserts. After a while of the first owners feet wearing them they eventually get an indent of that persons foot, thus being more comfortable to that person. If by some odd chance yougave that shoe to someone else to wear, their foot is shaped differently thus causing the shape of the foot indented in the pad to not match up. This would cause discomfort in some areas. Same with rotors and pads. Even though the gel insert in the shoe is still effective, once the foot inside the shoe changes the insert should be changed as well.
Great way to put it there Dill...for sure makes sense....and that's what I was taught in school anyway....was just going by what I was told.....like a dummy...trust your thoughts over what you are told sometimes, eh?

Is there a need to get ceramics or will OE semi-metallics work just as well?
Old 15 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

If you know how to use your brakes, semi-metallic are generally preferred. Ceramic brakes are for one of two reasons: Reduce dust so your wheels stay cleaner and/or cope with high heat from people who don't know how to use their brakes properly. A good semi-metallic will virtually always yield better pedal feel and more even performance than a ceramic. Ceramics tend to have poor cold performance in exchange for fade resistance - something you shouldn't encounter on the street unless you are driving with one foot on the brake all the time, or one of those on/off type of drivers who sit in traffic rocketing forward 10' and then slamming on the brakes.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
If you know how to use your brakes, semi-metallic are generally preferred. Ceramic brakes are for one of two reasons: Reduce dust so your wheels stay cleaner and/or cope with high heat from people who don't know how to use their brakes properly. A good semi-metallic will virtually always yield better pedal feel and more even performance than a ceramic. Ceramics tend to have poor cold performance in exchange for fade resistance - something you shouldn't encounter on the street unless you are driving with one foot on the brake all the time, or one of those on/off type of drivers who sit in traffic rocketing forward 10' and then slamming on the brakes.
Well, I don't drive that way but the damn brakes are still a little jacked. Slip-grab feel and wheel shake/pedal pulsation (when warm, does alright when it's cold, brakes are good when cold) and the rotors still have a brownish haze, but are baby's butt smooth (you can still see most of the original cross hatching). The pads are starting to bite in, just taking forever. They have less than 450 miles total on the new pads and rotors. Looks to be pad glaze transfer....wtf? I've done a few brake jobs before, never had this issue, ever!! Did two brake jobs on my XB and turned the rotors twice and that thing stopped on a dime, ALWAYS. I'll try to post pictures soon....

Last edited by arsenalfcth14; 24 Aug 2011 at 10:51 am.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The rotors you had will wear in a specific pattern along with the pads. Put the pads on a new rotor and it'll transfer that same pattern and shorten the life ot the new rotor. If you have 75% left, you can still grind down the crap off the face of the pads to smooth them and use them. I've done that many, many times.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
The rotors you had will wear in a specific pattern along with the pads. Put the pads on a new rotor and it'll transfer that same pattern and shorten the life ot the new rotor. If you have 75% left, you can still grind down the crap off the face of the pads to smooth them and use them. I've done that many, many times.

Yeah, I used the old pads for a day or two at the very most with the new rotors. Noticed two brownish streaks on the outside and inside part (maybe 1/2" ea. probably a little smaller) of the new rotors the Monday following replacement (rotor replacement took place on Thursday and I didn't drive it until Sunday). Those two streaks indicate a stepped pad. So I replaced the pads on the Monday following, some of streaking has faded and you can see that the outside is biting in, but there's still that brownish haze to the rotor as well as the shaking and grip/slip feel when warm. I can probably have the rotors turned on the lowest lathe setting to get all that crap off them first. Then check the pads while I am at it...probably going to have to replace them though....

Last edited by arsenalfcth14; 24 Aug 2011 at 11:19 am.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalfcth14 View Post
Yeah, I used the old pads for a day or two at the very most with the new rotors. Noticed two brownish streaks on the outside and inside part (maybe 1/2" ea. probably a little smaller) of the new rotors the Monday following replacement (rotor replacement took place on Thursday and I didn't drive it until Sunday). Those two streaks indicate a stepped pad. So I replaced the pads on the Monday following, some of streaking has faded and you can see that the outside is biting in, but there's still that brownish haze to the rotor as well as the shaking and grip/slip feel when warm. I can probably have the rotors turned on the lowest lathe setting to get all that crap off them first. Then check the pads while I am at it...probably going to have to replace them though....
I had similar problems, just took a big, heavy screwdriver and ran it across the rotors about a dozen times, kind if like how they slot them, only just scored them with the edge of the screwdriver. That worked to wear down the pads a tiny bit and got all the junk off of them in about 3k miles. Problem has not returned since.