PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog Lamps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog Lamps

Hello everyone!

I have a 2005 Cruiser Touring. I wanted to add fog lamps to it. I'm assuming that I have a prewired one since I saw the plug for the fog lamp bulb while changing motor mounts.

I tried searching and I couldn't find a straight answer so forgive me if I missed it somehow.

I was planning on purchasing the factory replacement lenses and new multi function switch to include fog lamp control as well as a 3000k HID kit (already have a 6000k kit in headlights). I guess I also have to check for a 15A fuse in position #8.

Does anyone know if I need to have the car reprogrammed to turn the fog light option on in a 2005 Cruiser?

Thanks!

P.S. - Thanks for the DIYs. I've used the plug/wires and motor mount guides recently and everything went perfect.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Fog Lamps

I'd like to know this too - I have a 2004 Ltd, has the drop wires for the fogs at the front so I fitted some. Nothing. Looked in fuse box - no fuse. Get new 15 amp fuse only to realise the actual holder itself for the fuse is not fitted (part of the wiring that's not there either)... so how do I wire in the fogs?

Arthur
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just peeked inside my fuse box and I already have a 15a fuse located in the #8 slot.

I have the fog lenses, multi switch, and HID kit in shopping carts waiting on confirmation about reprogramming
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Damn - just dug this out

Looks like I got a part-fitted kit
Old 16 Aug 2011, 11:34 am
Young Cruiser

Arthur- My 04 is exactly like your car. has the drop wires in the front but no fuse holder, etc.

I found a PT in the junk yard and took some wires to add the fuse holder.

Instead of buying a multi function switch, i took a fog light switch out of a Grand Am and installed it in the dash. I ran the wiring just like the Mopar diagram except i used the grans am switch instead of the MFS. It works perfectly and I get the fog light indicator on the dash.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well after some digging around the web I found out that I do not need the computer reprogrammed.

I found an article from someone who did it to a 2005 PT and all they added was fogs and a new multi switch.

I also read not to forget to swap out the combo flasher on the back of the old multi switch to the new one.

I ordered everything today so we shall see!
Old 17 Aug 2011, 07:20 am
Young Cruiser

If you ordered the mopar kit, you should be good to go. I forgot to mention that you don't have to reprogram the computer...sorry.

This is a mod that's well worth the money. I want to add cruise control next to mine.

Happy Modding!
Old 17 Aug 2011, 08:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Listen up all... some cars have the MFS already, but no fogs. Most already have the wiring, while most don't have the MFS with fogs.

It's a total crap shoot if your ECU is already programmed for fog lights. Some dealerships, mine included, will program that for free. Most won't.

If it were I (mine came with fogs), I'd run separate power via relay to a dash switch and forget about going through the MFS. That danged MFS fails too often, mine has already been replaced TWICE! I'm slowly moving all items to relay controls to take the load off the MFS. It still will control the relay and the lights, but the relay takes the power load. Have spoken to several who have done this and they never have MFS problems. It's not very difficult to do, just requires some wiring and a relay.

My horn is on a relay, and works fine off the stock horn switch. But then I have 5 horns counting my Wolo BabBoy airhorn. When I honk, you definitely can here me!

If you're interested, I have several wiring diagrams for light connections via relay I can post. PM me if you want it!
Old 23 Aug 2011, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well I can confirm that my 2005 Touring PT did not need reprogramming for the fog lamps to work.

Everything took about an hr and half. The new multi switch was a joke of an install.

One thing they didn't tell me when I bought the fog lamps was that they do not come with the nuts and washers to hook them up to the car! I guess they assume you will be using the existing ones. Well little did I know, the covers are held by metal clips. You must supply your own hardware. Lucky for me, the HID kit came with 4 nuts/bolt/washers in case you wanted to mount the ballast to a bracket. These fit the fog lamps perfect! Saved me a trip to the hardware store.

Everything went smooth and now I have 5000k headlights (will be 6000k by the end of this week) and 3000k fogs. No relays were used. Just plug and play.

Now the bad...

Unfortunately the new multi switch is leaving my fog lamps on at random times. The fog light end of the switch is super sensitive and turns on at the faintest touch. Just emailed the company for a replacement. If this one fails, I'm going the bypass route (which many recommend from the start...I know!)

Also, one of the 3000k fogs is way lighter than the other one. One has the nice yellow glow I was looking for and the other one is almost white. I'll have to take it apart to make sure which part of defective (ballast or bulb) and request an exchange...bleh!