PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
09 PT cruiser no start no sparks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2011, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 09 PT cruiser no start no sparks

Hello all,
New member,been lurking around. Great forum. I need some help.
i have 2009 pt Cruiser none turbo. Car overheated and stalled ( Blowned head gasket). Just replace head gasket to find out there's no compression. Did a little checking to find almost all lifters was frozen stuck. Replace all Lifters and compression are all good now.
Problem now is, Car turns over but no start, no sparks, no voltage pulse to coils. Did the key code and got P0129 and P0522. Replaced oil switch, no more P0522 but still no start/sparks.
Timing belt is right on. I checked 5 times. Both cam spocket "up" with notch line up. and arrows on crank spocket lined up.
Where do i go from here? Thank you
Old 16 Aug 2011, 04:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 09 PT cruiser no start no sparks

P0129 is an out of range condition on the MAP sensor. I am not sure if this code will keep the engine from starting but it seems logical that it would. Since you just put your engine back together, i would check that all of the electrical connectors have been re-attached. I think I read that some of the electrical connectors are identical so it is important to get them in the right place also.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the response PT_PAT
I checked all connections already but did it again as you said. everything seems in order. My problem is im not getting any sparks. Do you think The MAP sensor would cause no sparks? Do you know how many volts it should be on the 3 pin connector going to the coils? Im getting 5 volt on both sides of the pin with the middle being ground. Im also not getting any Flashing light while cranking when i hook up a 12volt light to the connectors, niether side.
I just had someone crank the engine while i listen to the injectors and it is clicking ( Does this mean the computor is recieving signal from cam/crank sensor?)
Old 17 Aug 2011, 11:26 am
Young Cruiser

I've never had to diagnose spark or fuel problems on my PT so I don't know what kind of voltage you should see at the connectors. If I have time I will check the voltage on my coil pack connector and let you know. However, with the electrical changes between old and new model PT's my '02 may not be the best comparison.

You should definitely try to clear the MAP sensor code. If disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes doesn't clear the code, try replacing the sensor and disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes. Also, try getting the codes several times during your start attempts: immediately after re-connecting the battery and after every start attempt to see when the code gets set.

You should also check to make sure you have fuel pressure. If you don't have a fuel pressure guage you should be able to get a free rental from most autoparts stores.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 11:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Here are the results of my testing:

On the MAP sensor, position 1 is 5V, position 2 is ground and position 3 is the sensor output signal (nearly 5V when the engine is not running).

On the coil pack, position 1 is coil #1, position #3 is coil #2 and position 2 is the power input (12V). When the engine is not running, all positions should read close to 0V. When cranking and when the engine is running, position 2 goes to 12V and the other 2 read around 12V with some pulsing.

Comparing your results to mine makes me think you have the coil and MAP sensor plugs reversed. They are both 3 pin connectors and are roughly the same length from where they exit the wire bundle and the MAP sensor is almost directly above the coil. The MAP sensor connector has the red lock on the back of the connector and the coil connector has the red lock on the side of the connector.

Finally, all of the tests I performed and the information I have given is for an '02 PT. Your '09 may be completely different.

Last edited by PT_Patriot; 18 Aug 2011 at 11:01 am.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 01:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

GOT IT RUNNING!!!! THANK YOU PT-PAT!!!!

Well i spend the pass 3 days checking/testing every sensor, took just about the whole wiring harness apart tracing all the wies. I had signals from the sensors to the computer but no signal from computer to the coils. Thought the computer was fried. Got on the internet to order a new computer and while im online thought i just check this forum.
I saw the reply from PT-PATRIOT saying maybe your MAP and COIL connections are reversed. I thought no way any car manufacture would have two of the same connectors so close by each other but gave it a check anyway. Well, The cam sensor and the coil connector are identical. They both come out from the same spit on the wire harness and are the same length. FIRED RIGHT UP. It's running a little ruff but it's all down hill from here.
Thank you PT-PAT, you saved me a new computer
Old 19 Aug 2011, 10:17 am
Young Cruiser

Glad to help. I learned more about my PT in the process.

Since you had 12V applied the MAP sensor with the connectors swapped, you might have damaged it. Check the codes to see if you are still getting MAP sensor out of range. If you haven't already done it, you should clear the codes with a tool or by disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes. This way you know that any subsequent codes you get are a result of something new.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PT-PAT,
sorry, been a little bussy on the car. I had the coil and cam connectors crossed; not the MAP.
Car is running like new again. After the the crossed connectors issue car was running real ruff. I did a compression test and had low to almost no compression on all cylinder. Did a leak down test and all valves was leaking. Took the head off and did a water leak test and leaking everywhere. All the valve seats was warped from the overheating(The machine shop should have caught that when they resurface the head).
I disassemble the head, lapped all the valve and now the car running smooth as can be.
Thanks again for you help
Old 30 Aug 2011, 02:05 pm
Young Cruiser

At first it seemed a little odd that you were getting a MAP sensor out of range code when you had the coil and CMP sensor connectors swapped. But then it made a little sense. With the CMP connector plugged into the coil, all three pins were essentially shorted together (primary windings on coils are fairly low resistance). I could see this causing the MAP sensor signal to read pretty close to ground, which is out of range.

Glad to hear that lapping the valves fixed your compression problem. Any idea why your compression test after changing the lifters seemed fine?