Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cheaper air intakes on ebay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2002, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cheaper air intakes on ebay

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the less expensive air intakes being sold on ebay...such as the ones for $40 by siediedog (there are a couple of others as well)...good deal or a waste of money?

Old 19 Jul 2002, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Larry,
Although I haven't see the air intakes your talking about, the old addage of "you get what you pay for" might be a warning. First..is the $40 your talking about the final price on ebay? Is there a reserve price, which hasn't been met yet? Can you actually buy it for $40? The best ones draw cooler air away from the engine heat. If you see the one with a tube and big filter on the end, without a box built around the filter, it will be drawing heated air from the engine and although you will draw more air than a stock filter, cooler air gives more power to the engine. Comp[lete the package with a free flow exhaust system and you definately feel the difference.

Old 19 Jul 2002, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, thanks for the responce...the intake I'm tlaking about starts at $39.95 w/ no reserve ...they usually sell for that or slightly higher as the seller always has 3 or 4 listed at the same time. They do not have an isolation box; I don't know how much difference that really makes...I'd like to buy an air raid but I'm wondering if they are really worth the $150 price tag???

Old 19 Jul 2002, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Larry,
Since your new to the posts, maybe you don't know abot www.ptdoityourself.net It's a great sourse for almost anything pertaining to the PT Cruiser. You'll have to do a bit of searching around but I believe they have the how-to to build your own air intake system for a lot less than the name brand one's. There's also plenty of information on how to install a lot of the aftermarket parts that you pick up. Try it.

Old 05 May 2003, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Your best bet as far as an Intake goes is to just build one. over on ptdoityourself.net they have a really good section on homemade intakes. I just installed mine using a piece of 2.5 inch exhaust piping and a three inch filter (cutting the original rubber fitting to use as spacers and locking mechs works just fine!) Trust me dude, buying a prefab intake from anywhere is a rip off, concerning you can buy the stuff and do it yourself for under 100 dollars