Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PCV Emission Hose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2011, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PCV Emission Hose

Hi, the previous owners of my 2001 replaced the original pcv hose with a quick fix bodge job of a pipe which is plastic. This has since bent out of shape and is blocked where the pipe bends, as such causing a vacum blockage. My question is has anyone here replaced this hose? if so did they find an alternative to trying to source this hose from dealer? the thick plastic pipe is no good as its just not flexible enough to bend onto the fittings. I have no idea if the original hose is plastic or rubber and what size i would need? thanks
Old 18 Aug 2011, 03:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PCV Emission Hose

i bought 2 hoses from a dealer here. surprisingly, they were'nt that expensive. don't remember how much.
i don't think you can get them anywhere but a dealer.
the original hose is rubber and preformed for an exact fit.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i havent tried dealer yet as they are quite a distance from where i live but i found one mail order for 20 which i thought was quite steep considering what it is! i found companies selling rubber hose in lengths with specific diameters so i might just try and find out diameter required and do this way. Not sure if anyone can remember though, is the connection on the pcv valve same size as connection on inlet manifold? i guess if i just add a couple of jubilee clips to seal it, it should work ok :S
Old 18 Aug 2011, 04:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I used 3/8 from the PVC to the manifold, but mine is a Turbo so it may be different.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 04:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

the ends are different sizes which, at least for me, makes it difficult to fabricate the hose.
on na versions.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 03:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

ah that probably makes sense that both ends are different sizes as the current bodge job has same size tube but on manifold end has a jubilee clip holding it. does anyone know if none turbo is the same 3/8 hose?
Old 20 Aug 2011, 07:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've heard of others on this forum using hoses that are not the OEM pre-formed PCV hose--and they had trouble with collapsing. And 20 pounds sounds like a lot of money for that hose. I paid seven dollars for one recently here in the U.S. The OEM hose I purchased fit perfectly. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet, but I'd look around to find an OEM hose before juryrigging one.

Tim
Old 22 Aug 2011, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

yes i think you are right, that seems to eb whats happened to this hose, its collapsed and no air getting through. I guess i will have to pay the 20 or try and find one at a scrapper. The fabricating one myself idea seems to be more trouble than worth
Old 27 Aug 2011, 10:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought one through the dealer only to walk into to Napa and find the same exact hose hanging on one of the displays with various vacuum elbows. At any rate the dealer was only charging about $10.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 04:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

The OEM hose requires no "various vacuum elbows", so how can it be the exact same hose? That's not to say that Napa doesn't have a hose that fits and doesn't collapse; I'm just saying that Chrysler's OEM hose is an exact fit and won't collapse.

Tim