Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 pt intermitant missfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2011, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 pt intermitant missfire

Hello I have an 05 cruiser that internitantly misfires and jumps badly. It throws a code of p2302 ignition coil A secondary circuit. I have replaced the PCM,, ignition coil, spark plugs, and wires and camshft sensor. I also removed gas tank and inspected and found clean and filter not dirty. I tried to check fuel pressure but no port to do this book said it was on end of fuel rail but it is not Ichecked VERY thouroghly.Could it be low fuel pressure? Sometimes I drive 100 miles before it acts up. HELP Thanks 2.4 nonturbo By the way, when the engine light comes on and it starts missing, I cut the switch off and start up again and the check engine light is off and it runs okay for a little while each time I do that

Last edited by bobrat; 19 Aug 2011 at 02:51 pm.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 pt intermitant missfire

Welcome to the forum. I checked the old posts and came up with a reply from a person that used to be on the forum who was an expert ASE Certified Mechanic with his own shop and PT.

His answer won't help much because he said there's 3 possible causes which include things you've already changed: plugs, wires and the coil.

One of the mechanics on the forum now cam up with tthis:

The codes mean that the PCM is not seeing the spark plug fire long enough. Typically it's because the spark is going to ground instead of firing through the plug. The fact that it's doing it only when the engine is hot makes me wonder....Makes me think it's a PCM problem but not sure....
Have you replaced the plugs and wires yet? It's kind of a stretch. Electricity is lazy and always seeks the easiest path to ground. If that is through the plug wire into the head instead of firing the plug then that's what it will do.

Another one from the ASC Mechanic:

The rare code P2302 refers to the ionization time for the spark plugs, wires, and coil.
You need to check for spark at the coil. If it has spark, the wires and plugs are at fault. If not, the coil driver circuit should be checked. Coils fail very rarely on Chrysler ignition systems.

Hope some of that helps. Yo sound like your the kind that doesn't mind getting ghis hands dirty. Go over what you did and check each plug and wire and the output of the coil.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 09:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Its a shot in the dark, but I had this same issue with my 98 Trans Am. Problem was that the fuel injectors were stopped up. If your taking the intake off of your car anyway, just takes a few more steps to get the injectors off and look for a blockage. Mine looked like they were stuffed with coffee grinds, I sprayed some carb cleaner in there and cleaned them out. Issue solved.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 10:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check to see if there is any oil seeping into your plug tubes possibly?