Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check Engine Light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2011, 08:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check Engine Light

My Check Engine Light was blinking off and on. I had just retrieved my car from the dealer where they had replaced two modules. I drove right around the block and went back to the dealer.

They claimed that when they checked it, no engine lights came on. They decided to change the spark plugs because they were the originals. They drove it around for thirty miles and no check engine light came back on.

Now, after having the car at home for two days and driving less than 30 miles, the check engine light is back on. I can't seem to master the art of the key trick, so I don't know what it is reading.

My QUESTION: Does the computer store the codes for the check engine light occurrences even if the light goes back off? In other words, if it does, wouldn't they have been able to retrieve what the blinking check engine light was indicating? If it does indeed store the codes, are the dates indicated? Like, on "8/16/2011 Error Code (insert code)" for example.

Thanks so much for help! Lesley
Old 21 Aug 2011, 08:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Check Engine Light

Lesley,

The code is stored (or should be) until that particular code is erased/purged or in some cases, the problem goes away that caused the code in the first place. It only shows the number of the code and not any kind of date and time.

Yes, the dealer should have been able to read the code to find the cause. Changing the plugs just because they are old and that "might" have been the problem doesn't seem the right thing to do.

Also, according to the owners manual, if the engine light is blinking instead of a steady light, serious damage could be done by continuing to drive the vehicle.

The key trick to retrieving codes is really not hard. I wrote the instructions as simple as I could. The main thing to remember is to turn the key forward and backward (not starting the engine) 3 times in 5 seconds. That might sound too fast but can be done rather easily. If it helps, take all the "junk" off you keyring so you can grasp the key securely.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 08:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Here is a video on how to retrieve the codes:

Old 21 Aug 2011, 06:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post

the vid's on youtube suck. I think i'm gonna make my own. See these vids only let you hear what's going on it doesn't show how to turn the key.
Sorry i'll get off my soap box now.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 06:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah, make another one please!!! BTW, that's the only one I could find
Old 21 Aug 2011, 06:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Yeah, make another one please!!! BTW, that's the only one I could find
there's two others. There's one that's almost identical to this one and then there's another one where some jack ass is trying to retrieve the code and fix the PT with a autozone part lol.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Lesley,

The code is stored (or should be) until that particular code is erased/purged or in some cases, the problem goes away that caused the code in the first place. It only shows the number of the code and not any kind of date and time.

Yes, the dealer should have been able to read the code to find the cause. Changing the plugs just because they are old and that "might" have been the problem doesn't seem the right thing to do.

Also, according to the owners manual, if the engine light is blinking instead of a steady light, serious damage could be done by continuing to drive the vehicle.

The key trick to retrieving codes is really not hard. I wrote the instructions as simple as I could. The main thing to remember is to turn the key forward and backward (not starting the engine) 3 times in 5 seconds. That might sound too fast but can be done rather easily. If it helps, take all the "junk" off you keyring so you can grasp the key securely.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Thank you so much, Crewzin. I had my significant other try the key trick and he couldn't do it either. I appreciate the video, too, and I will try again. I appreciate your feedback regarding the blinking code, too. I got it right back into the dealer, I had only driven out of the parking lot! That was on a Friday night. When they checked it on Monday, they claim the light was off. I am at my wit's end. It is impacting my life! I'm afraid to drive due to fear of engine light coming on. I didn't go anywhere today, in case it broke down again. This is so frustrating. I will keep you posted. Thanks again! Lesley
Old 21 Aug 2011, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

Thank you so much, Xtrm!
Old 21 Aug 2011, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanG View Post
the vid's on youtube suck. I think i'm gonna make my own. See these vids only let you hear what's going on it doesn't show how to turn the key.
Sorry i'll get off my soap box now.
Thank you so much, WolfmanG. Lesley
Old 21 Aug 2011, 07:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyRN View Post
Thank you so much, WolfmanG. Lesley
Yw even tho all i did was just express my opinion lol