PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT, jerking when accelerating

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WolfmanG

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2011, 09:30 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Unhappy 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

Hi! I am new here, and have already read several posts with problems that sound similar, but I figured I'd explain mine. We just bought a 04 PT with 106000 miles on it, it had hail damage to the body and was a great deal. Seemed fine until we got it home, and then suddenly on pulling out and accelerating, it started jerking. It was just like when someone doesn't know how to drive a stick, it jerked, seemed to calm when you let off the gas, but sometimes it would just rev when you pushed the gas but not go. The rpms were really high for how slow we were going. Tried putting it in 3rd, did the same thing. Then, a few hours later, got in it, and no sign of trouble. Of course it did it again later, along with a hot/burn smell when you stepped out of the car. Any ideas? I've seen several people suggest plugs and wires, and also sensors of some kind.

thank you so much for any advice!

Christina
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2011, 06:43 pm
WolfmanG's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,495
Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by solluna975 View Post
Hi! I am new here, and have already read several posts with problems that sound similar, but I figured I'd explain mine. We just bought a 04 PT with 106000 miles on it, it had hail damage to the body and was a great deal. Seemed fine until we got it home, and then suddenly on pulling out and accelerating, it started jerking. It was just like when someone doesn't know how to drive a stick, it jerked, seemed to calm when you let off the gas, but sometimes it would just rev when you pushed the gas but not go. The rpms were really high for how slow we were going. Tried putting it in 3rd, did the same thing. Then, a few hours later, got in it, and no sign of trouble. Of course it did it again later, along with a hot/burn smell when you stepped out of the car. Any ideas? I've seen several people suggest plugs and wires, and also sensors of some kind.

thank you so much for any advice!

Christina
Hey Christina, sorry to hear about your troubles. Is your check engine like coming on? if so you might want to do the key dance, which is, Turn off the car, then turn the key to the acc position three times, then leave it on, on the third time. The acc position is the last position the key is in before the car turns on. So do it like this: on-off-on-off-on do it with in 5 second. look at your cluster and watch for any codes that come up. make sure and write them down so you can come back to this forum and look up the codes.
Honestly it kinda sounds like your camshaft position sensor, but we really wont know until you get the codes. Good luck
__________________
-Danny Wolfman G
http://www.facebook.com/WolfmanG
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

Thank you so much! Got two codes, forgive me but I can't remember them. We wrote them down and my husband took it to a mechanic today, got it all fixed up, and it seems to be running like a top!
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22 Aug 2011, 08:41 pm
WolfmanG's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,495
Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

That's good i'm glad she's running again. I just hope that if the mechanic had to change any sensors then he changed them with Mopar/OEM sensors. Our baby's don't like autozone parts, they last a few weeks and then you gotta replace it again.
__________________
-Danny Wolfman G
http://www.facebook.com/WolfmanG
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05 Oct 2011, 07:50 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by solluna975 View Post
Thank you so much! Got two codes, forgive me but I can't remember them. We wrote them down and my husband took it to a mechanic today, got it all fixed up, and it seems to be running like a top!
I'm having the same issue with my PT. What did the mech. change??? I'm getting no codes though.

Anything would be helpful.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06 Apr 2013, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

I'm having the same problem with my 07 pt cruiser. It shows a different code each time someone works on it. At first it was the cam sensor, changed that, still doing the jerking. Changed the crank sensor, still doing the jerking. Now I'm sitting at the Chrysler dealership waiting to see what the next code will be. It starts acting up as soon as I leave the mechanic. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Feb 2014, 10:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanG View Post
Hey Christina, sorry to hear about your troubles. Is your check engine like coming on? if so you might want to do the key dance, which is, Turn off the car, then turn the key to the acc position three times, then leave it on, on the third time. The acc position is the last position the key is in before the car turns on. So do it like this: on-off-on-off-on do it with in 5 second. look at your cluster and watch for any codes that come up. make sure and write them down so you can come back to this forum and look up the codes.
Honestly it kinda sounds like your camshaft position sensor, but we really wont know until you get the codes. Good luck
Hi, I currently have this same problem of jerking while accelerating. Thanks to this website I discovered the "key trick" and found that one of two check engine issues is P0340 - the camshaft position sensor.

I recently removed my battery and recharged it, it had drained because of a weak connection on the positive terminal. I'm guessing this removal of the battery caused the fault with the camshaft sensor because the jerking started happening immediately afterwards. Will the camshaft position sensor need to be replaced?
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08 Feb 2014, 10:58 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonD View Post
Hi, I currently have this same problem of jerking while accelerating. Thanks to this website I discovered the "key trick" and found that one of two check engine issues is P0340 - the camshaft position sensor.

I recently removed my battery and recharged it, it had drained because of a weak connection on the positive terminal. I'm guessing this removal of the battery caused the fault with the camshaft sensor because the jerking started happening immediately afterwards. Will the camshaft position sensor need to be replaced?
If the jerking comes back, yes. Get a Mopar sensor, not a mystery brand.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 Feb 2014, 11:42 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The key dance is NOT an accurate way to view DTC's or pending DTC's. It is very generic. You should get your PT scanned properly with a scan tool at the diagnostic port. Write down all the codes if any and then clear them out. Then do at least one full engine cycle and re-check for codes before start buying parts and replacing parts.


This is a VERY bad idea! In this case properly scanning the OBDII port and accessing DTC's would be the first start in correcting the problem. NOT just jumping to the conclusion that a new replaced part is defective!
He did not replace any part - reading comprehension is obviously not your strong point.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08 Feb 2014, 11:45 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,570
Default Re: 04 PT, jerking when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
He did not replace any part - reading comprehension is obviously not your strong point.
you should re-read my response as well. It seems that we have reading comprehension in common.

If you read "In this case properly scanning the OBDII port and accessing DTC's would be the first start in correcting the problem."
__________________
Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Closed Thread

Tags
accelerate, acceleration, hot, jerk, jerking


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My car started jerking! helene Tech & Performance Forum 14 30 Oct 2011 09:58 pm
vibration when first accelerating PurpleMoo41 Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 7 05 Aug 2011 06:24 pm
Shudder while accelerating from 20-30mph cnjvh General PT Cruiser Discussions 9 21 Dec 2010 01:46 pm
Brake light comes on when accelerating kmancrx Tech & Performance Forum 11 02 Dec 2009 09:33 pm
PT Cruiser studdering/jerking oscar514 Tech & Performance Forum 4 28 Feb 2009 11:47 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors