Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery levels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2011, 01:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Battery levels...

Been slowly trying to tick off the little problems with my new purchase (see my signature). Been searching and searching this forum for ideas, and found a lot! I'm thinking I may need a new battery. It hovers around 12.3-4v when off, and around 13.4v when running. All pretty average.

The thing that doesn't look average is when I go to crank it over, it dips to about 9.7-8v. Would anyone agree that this battery has seen better days?

ps. I'm also considering putting in 3 or 4 extra grounding wires, just for good measure, since electrical issues with this car seem common.

Fixed: Cloudy headlights, Rear Defogger, Rear Wiper Motor, Multifunction Switch, Clunking noise up front......
BUT-Odometer not recording every mile-Turn signal warning chime always chimes-Temperature light always on...
...Still love the damn thing
Old 21 Aug 2011, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery levels...

From what I can read on the Internet and can see on my own cars, your battery is on it's last legs.

Battery FAQ

A lot of us a few years back went to the Hypergrounding where you put a few extra grounding wires around the engine bay. A few that had problems seem to notice a difference. Other, myself included, didn't have problem but figured it couldn't hurt.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 02:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks so much for the FAQ. I've been looking and looking for something like that. Helped alot.

It's strange, I've owned a lot of cars, but all older models (best ones were '71 Midget and a '68 Chrysler 300). This is the newest car I've ever owned, but I still seem to think that only when it's slow to crank over should I worry about the battery. I guess newer cars suck up so much juice while parked with the computers and keyless entry and alarms that a good battery is paramount.

Gonna get on that ASAP.

ps. Might explain the remote key fob only working next the car as well, huh?

Fixed: Cloudy headlights, Rear Defogger, Rear Wiper Motor, Multifunction Switch, Clunking noise up front......
BUT-Odometer not recording every mile-Turn signal warning chime always chimes-Temperature light always on...
Old 21 Aug 2011, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeachbum View Post
Might explain the remote key fob only working next the car as well, huh?
It's funny you should mention that. I'm not sure if a new regular battery will help on not with the remote but I'm a member of the UK PT Cruiser site and over there, that problem seems to be a lot bigger than over here. Several owners in the UK have the same complaint and nobody really came up with a good answer. Be sure to remember this and see if that car battery does help and then I'll pass it on to those in the UK.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 07:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I'm not sure if a new regular battery will help on not with the remote
Damn. That was the one problem I thought it might cure.

Old 21 Aug 2011, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey, don't be sad, I said "I'm not sure". It might.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 04:02 am
Young Cruiser

Just waiting for my new battery to be delivered....

Check this out...the same car battery cost 118 in store, 85 if purchased online and picked up by myself, or just 63 to purchase online and have them deliver it.

Old 25 Aug 2011, 07:07 am
Young Cruiser

Well, just installed my new battery and EVERYTHING IS FIXED!!!

Just kidding... Didn't do a thing. Absolutely no change in anything other than the make and age of my battery.

Old 25 Aug 2011, 09:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to carolinagirl

I had to get a battery blanket to help my battery. It was like $5.95 at my local dealer.

Here is what I found about the blanket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

On gasoline engine equipped vehicles a flexible thermal guard wraps around the battery case to enclose the sides of the battery. The thermal guard consists of a plastic cloth outer skin with a polyester based insulator fiber. The thermal guard protects the battery from engine compartment temperature extremes. The temperature of the battery can affect battery performance. The air trapped in the thermal guard creates a dead air space, which helps to insulate the sides of the battery case from the air temperature found in the surrounding engine compartment. When replacing the battery, the thermal guard must be transferred to the new battery. The list price on a replacement cover is approximately $8.