PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Winter Driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2002, 09:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Winter Driving

I was wondering how the PT Crusier did in winter driving conditions; snow and ice, with studded snow tires? I would like to buy one of the cars, but am curious how they do in these type of conditions. I live in Alaska and snow is often on the road. Not deep, but there.
Thanks, Gary

Old 20 Jul 2002, 04:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

I live in southern WV and we get our fair bit of the great white stuff, I ran mine last year with the stock Goodyears with no trouble at all and I don't have trac control and I do run a 5 speed, Be Cool, James

Old 22 Jul 2002, 11:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to renichms

Had bad snow here once (probably the only time ever) and my Cruiser had no problems at all. LE 5-speed. Live in South Carolina though so I'm not what one could call really "experienced" with ice and snow (though have avoided pile-ups and the like in other states). No experience with snow tires of any kind.

RN

See Mephisto
Old 05 Aug 2002, 01:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mttrip,
I live in Alaska and have had my PT for two winters. I commute daily from Eagle River to Anchorage. I use studded tires all around in the winter and enjoy the anti-lock brakes when the roads are icy during the warm spells. The anti-locks work so well that I am thinking about trying an all season tire without studs.

The PT is front wheel drive, and my experience with the front-wheel drive cars I have owned or driven is that, when driven carefully and not like a person late for work, they handle remarkably well in the snow and even if you end op in a shallow ditch,you can usually reverse your way out of it. I too was worried about the low ground clearance, but it has not been a problem.

I have the traction control feature on my car but it usually doesn't engage, which is probably a reflection of the use of studded tires. The system might react differently with all season tires.