Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator fan stays on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2011, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator fan stays on

Not much on this I could find. I have a '08 model that has a NA engine. Just yesterday, I turned the engine off and the fan kept running. I let it go thinking it would shut down after cooling. Needless to say, I forgot and the fan drained the battery down. I have since pulled the fuse and the fan does not operate. Today I put the fuse back in and the fan did not come on. I thought I somehow fixed it. After 3-4 minutes, the fan turns on by itself only turning off if I remove the fuse. I did this several times but to no avail. I never had this issued before and I read others stating relays and such but If the key is out of the ignition, why is the fan getting power? Any help on this is appreciated. I hate to take it to the dealer.

Last edited by hmh772; 22 Aug 2011 at 01:15 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 01:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator fan stays on

The power that the relay switches to the fan is always on. If the relay somehow sticks closed, the fan will always be on even when the ignition switch is off. You will need to replace the faulty relay. Your fan should have the relays attached to the fan housing.

Edit: Here is a post with some photos: Replacing a Radiator Fan Relay in a 2008 PT Cruiser.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have replaced both relays on the fan and still have the same issue. i dont think its the relays. Any other suggestions. Thanks
Old 23 Aug 2011, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your ignition switch could be going/is bad and when you think you're shutting off, it isn't....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Aug 2011, 08:09 am
Regular Cruiser

The PCM supplies the ground to activate the relay. The ignition should only supply power with the key in run or start position. If it is still getting power due to a bad ignition switch the the PCM getting power will turn the fans on and that same switch on issue will supply power to the fans and fan relays.

Last edited by GhostFlyer; 23 Aug 2011 at 09:24 am. Reason: changed entire
Old 23 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Check out this post (Where did you come from loose fan wire?) for a wiring diagram of the radiator fan. The diagram is for an earlier model so there will be differences, but the function of the two relays should be the same.

I would check all of the wiring and make sure you are getting the voltages you expect to get on all terminals of the relays. Based on your recent updates, I would suspect the wire from the PCM to the relay is shorted to ground or the PCM has an internal short to ground on the relay output.