PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser starts then shuts off after a few seconds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser starts then shuts off after a few seconds.

It starts fine on its brand new battery and then shuts down automatically. It doesn't die or fade out, it's like an anti-theft system is shutting the car down. It has done this for the past 3 days. I removed the alarm/power door fuse and that seemed to fix it momentarily but a few hours later it is doing the same thing. The car will not start after this either but all power is working fine in the car.

When I lifted the hood I could here a constant clicking noise (even with car in the "off" position and the key out). The clicking was coming from the Auto Shut Down fuse so I took it out for second and it stopped but would start again once inserted. I could also hear a faint clicking coming from somewhere else as well as very faint electrical beeps.

I removed the + battery cable from the post and put it right back on. The car will then start up again just fine but then dies after 3 seconds.

I have tried everything within my ability and knowledge to fix but cannot get the car to stay on for more than 3 seconds.

Any advice would be great!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser starts then shuts off after a few seconds.

I can't tell you how to fix it but I'd almost bet my last dollar it IS your alarm system or something to do with it. Classic system is when it doesn't recognize the right key, it shuts the ignition off after 3 seconds. Do you have another key you can try?

But then again, I have been wrong before. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Aug 2011 at 07:14 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Was the car running/driving ok before? Did you do any work on the car then have these troubles?

Like Crewzin said it does sound like a security issue involving a noncoded key...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 22 Aug 2011, 10:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. Yes it ran fine for about the last 2 months. The alarm was sporadically going off at all random times and we had that fixed. Then about a week later, this started happening.

Is there a way to completely disarm the alarm system and remote keyless entry? This has been causing us so much trouble that we'd rather just bypass the whole thing.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And the key we have is not an original key for the car and is the only one we have. After the last occurance, i disconnected the battery cable for about 15 minutes, reconnected it and the car started and ran for 15 minutes just fine, enough to drive home. It seems to be spororadic.