Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
knocking/creaking noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2011, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default knocking/creaking noise

I was looking for any help as to what my be the cause of some knocking/popping sound on my 2001 PT with 34,000 miles on it when I turn only at slower speeds and sometimes when coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop. I have taken in to 2 different shops and explained it to them and they performed a complete vehicle inspections and both could not find anything. as a matter of fact they both think it's in great shape and it just might be an age issue. The only thing they said was they felt it was more of a feel than a knock. I told them it never made this noise before and it's become more noticeable with time. They felt it was possibly the steering knuckle or the bushing/bearing on the steering column, but I hear it more towards the lower drivers side. Both said it was more of an annoyance and was not dangerous...wth..who is right. Could it be the motor mounts also?? Is this just a quirk of the PT or something that has to get worse before it can be diagnosed???? Help please..any feedback will be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 07:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: knocking/creaking noise

You said "any feedback" so here goes.

Most owners with some age and mileage have had problems with the wheel bearings and A arm bushings. You really need to get it to someone who knows the PT and what goes wrong with them...(Hate to say it) the dealer. They are use to what causes noises and creaking and can probably pin point it for you. I suggest this only because you've already been to two places, probably that deal in tires or mufflers, brakes and stuff and are not that familiar with the PT. There's my $.02
Old 23 Aug 2011, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: knocking/creaking noise

I was kinda leaning that way. I just hate getting worked over by the dealer especially if it does turn out to be nothing but then again I know something is not right. At least the suspension and other components were confirmed good during the inspections. I have a gut feeling it's the motor mounts or something in the steering column that they can't see but mybe the dealer can..Thanks again for the input