Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP!!!!! Check engine light....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2011, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP!!!!! Check engine light....

Hey guys,

I need some help, my 02 pt has been having some trouble lately and then this past weekend the check engine light went on and the car lost a lot of hp. I took it to the mechanic and he said that the 3rd piston is mis-firing according to the computer he plugged in to the computer. He told me how to fix it and so im going to do it by myself by fixing it.

But will that turn off the light?

Should i also replace the spark plugs?

Which piston is the third one?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 24 Aug 2011, 06:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: HELP!!!!! Check engine light....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyler05 View Post
Hey guys,

I need some help, my 02 pt has been having some trouble lately and then this past weekend the check engine light went on and the car lost a lot of hp. I took it to the mechanic and he said that the 3rd piston is mis-firing according to the computer he plugged in to the computer. He told me how to fix it and so im going to do it by myself by fixing it.

But will that turn off the light?

Should i also replace the spark plugs?

Which piston is the third one?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,
Tyler
since you're gonna be in that area i would suggest changing out the plugs and wires. Champs double plat's is what use but i have a n/a, if you have a turbo you can use copper plugs and i think iridium plugs. for the wire's, anything is better then the stock wires. I went with 8mm B&B wires. don't worry about your coil, it doesn't need to be changed unless it burns out, which is rare.
Hopefully someone else will be by soon to help you out with the piston issue
Old 24 Aug 2011, 06:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you may need some help in fixing your own problem. Have you worked on cars before? Do you have the right tools and torque wrench?

Standing in front of the engine, from left to right, the pistons are numbered 1,2,3,4. The firing order is 1-3-4-2. Now which No#3 is he talking about?

The light probably won't go off when you change the plugs and wires but taking the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes will turn it off.

What exactly did the mechanic say to fix your problem? Sounds like he said change the spark plug wire on the number #3 piston because your asking if you should also change the spark plugs. Personally, I'd never just change one plug or wire. Go for a whole set.

Hope it goes well for you.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 08:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes I've worked on cars before and I have all of the tools. The problem came up as P 0303 on the dash board. I already was going to change all of the wires and the spark plugs.

Thanks!

Tags
check engine light, engine, spark plugs