Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car Still Overheats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2011, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Car Still Overheats

I had a thread earlier about my problem, and it still persists. Too bad this forum is limited in helping me find the post I posted before (some forums keep your history of posted threads).

Anyways, car overheats. It was working fine for two weeks, but it started getting hot again. Driving fast helps a very very tiny bit. Here are some things that were fixed before.

All of these are done by Firestone, taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

Fan motor replaced (new)
A/C condenser replaced (new)
Thermostat replaced (new)
Coolant flush and replaced (new) (green)

What could be the problem? I seem to be hearing some water noises (like water going down a pipe). Also, the engine bubbles when it overheats (obvious). Overheating means going near H and the indicator lights come on.

Any suggestions about the problem are appreciated, so when the dealer doesn't find any problems, i can suggest something else they might have missed.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 09:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Car Still Overheats

I am no pro but it might be air was caught in the system when fluid was changed. Has the level changed ( dropped ) at all? As far as fluid I think most of the right fluids are red or pinkish. It has to be hoat compliant. Might ask him what he used.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlyer View Post
I am no pro but it might be air was caught in the system when fluid was changed. Has the level changed ( dropped ) at all? As far as fluid I think most of the right fluids are red or pinkish. It has to be hoat compliant. Might ask him what he used.
I think you might be right, that there may be air in the system, because I have heard that water noises correlates to air in the coolant system.

BUT, the coolant levels has not dropped. Still above the full line.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Green coolant doesn't sound good - The HOAT os orange, Xerex g05 is yellow....
Sounds like wrong coolant was used.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Aug 2011, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

id for sure change the coolent and make sure the air is burped out
Old 27 Aug 2011, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, my car was checked. No air in the coolant. Water pump is fine. It was overheating for a day, and also the morning of the day after. Then I heard a water noise, and poof, the car stopped overheating.

This is very strange and inconsistent. Not sure how I want to go about driving this thing when I don't know next when it will start overheating...

Never will I buy a Chrysler again.

Last edited by VroomMaster; 27 Aug 2011 at 02:49 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old 27 Aug 2011, 03:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Is the fan working on both speeds? Does it overheat with the AC on? What year and mileage? Is it turbo ? How is the radiator? Did you flush the system yet and put the right HOAT coolant? How long and for how many miles did you use the wrong ( green ) coolant?
Old 27 Aug 2011, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Is the fan working on both speeds? Does it overheat with the AC on? What year and mileage? Is it turbo ? How is the radiator? Did you flush the system yet and put the right HOAT coolant? How long and for how many miles did you use the wrong ( green ) coolant?
Fan works on both speeds, it is new (replaced).

2007 PT Cruiser Touring Edition w/ Turbo 2.4L. 60,000 miles

Radiator was checked out as okay by two different mechanic places.

Coolant was flushed, no air. I don't know what a "HOAT coolant" is, I am guessing that it is the red or orange kind. I still use the green coolant, driven it for around 100 miles. The coolant does not seem to be the problem.

When I turn off the car, there is a small/faint water boiling/shimmering sound. It stopped overheating the other day. I can drive around fine I guess for now. Car seems to have used up a lot of coolant when it did overheat, which I added more.
(No, I do not drive the car when it overheats [water boiling], I usually pull over and turn off the car and a/c to reduce stress.)

Hopefully the car does not overheat again, but if it does, I will update this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by VroomMaster; 27 Aug 2011 at 05:14 pm. Reason: Thanks.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 06:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Only use zerex coolant (available at napa) or coolant from the dealership. Pt radiators are very touchy.. May not solve your issue but itll help in the long run

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 27 Aug 2011, 09:16 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You should change that coolant ASAP so you don't damage anything.
Does it overheat when you use the AC or all the time?

And the first thing you should do : GET AWAY FROM FIRESTONE !!!!!
I only heard bad things about them