PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
replace power steering pressure hose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2011, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default replace power steering pressure hose

Hi, guys,

My local dealer said the power steering pressure hose on my 04 PT Cruiser is leaking. They would charge $440 for replacing it. I thought it is ridiculous. I would do it by myself. Do you guys have any suggestion? Do I have to lift the car in order to change the hose?
Many thanks,

Joe
Old 27 Aug 2011, 07:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: replace power steering pressure hose

If it's leaking because it's contacting your differential cover, it should be covered under the D18 recall.

If it's leaking somewhere else, it wouldn't be covered but you could still use the recall part. It's bizarre but often Chryser will have a recall part and a regular part that are almost identical but the recall one is dirt cheap (so they don't have to pay so much for the claim, I believe). Anyways, price out this part number: CBTBD181

And it is a PIA to change but the dealer shouldn't be charging more than 2.0 hours of labor.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, Floundering,

Thank you so much for the information. In fact I have never received any recall notice about the part. I was requesting an early state inspection on my car. The dealer stripped the sticker and asked for replacing the hose. Should I contact Chrysler first or just go ahead to ask the dealer fulfil this recall?

Joe
Old 27 Aug 2011, 08:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

The recall is an inspection and adjustment and only replacement if it has been contacting the differential cover. If it's leaking somewhere else, it doesn't apply. The recall part should be cheaper though if it's not covered.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 04:38 am
Young Cruiser

I did this not so long ago, there was a hole in the rubber part of the hose. Getting the hose off the pas pump is a pita. If i was to do it again I think I'd take the radiator out first.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 08:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How did you get to the other end of the power steering hose?
Old 14 Dec 2014, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsyork View Post
How did you get to the other end of the power steering hose?
The last post to this was 3 years ago.
Read this and see if it helps:
Power steering return hose replacement

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles