Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 cruiser engine miss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2011, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 cruiser engine miss

I just bought a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited with 92K miles for my daughter a few weeks ago. Our mechanic checked it out and found it in good shape. It ran well until a few days ago when it would occasionally miss for a few seconds then be okay again. This morning I drove it to work and it was fine for the first 20 minutes of driving before it shuttered. Later in the day the engine light came on. I checked the error codes and they are P0303 (cyl 3 misfire detected) and P1684 (Driver 5 Line 4: Computer output signal). Does the computer need replacing or can it be repaired/reprogramed? Does the dealer need to do this? Any advice would be appreciated. tks
Old 29 Aug 2011, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 cruiser engine miss

Welcome to the forum and to PT ownership. The code P1684 isn't a fault, just means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 cycles. The first thing to do with the engine miss is to start with the easy things and change the plugs and wires. Since you just bought a used car it makes since to do this anyway so you can start a clean slate and keep track of what maintenance has been done. Then if the miss doesn't go away, you can start with other diagnostics including a compression check.

Hopefully you know you have a major maintenance procedure due on the cruiser at 100,000 miles. The timing belt, water pump and tensioner need to be changed. It's a complicated and long (5 to 7 hours) job and if left tothe dealer, will run you somewhere between $800 - $1200 for parts and labor.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Aug 2011 at 03:13 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forums.
Agree (as usual) with Crewzin.
Want to add - do not get stock ignition wires - buy almost any name brand - they are better.
The stock Champion plugs are fine - gap at 0.040.
If plugs/wires don't do it, then an intake gasket is likely.
Here's how to do the plugs :
Spark Plug Guide

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Aug 2011, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

like already said start with some new plugs and some good wires
my 06 does that some times and ti will throw the misfire in #3 i just reste it and keep going the intake gasket could be letting in air i did a compression test and mine is ok like said the timing belt is a Pain and expensive and is doable at home but a lot easier at a shop
Old 29 Aug 2011, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Welcome from a fellow used PT purchaser (mine had a 124k when bought) The whole timing belt water pump thingy came as a totak shock to me when I first came to this site, but I can attest that the advice and help given here can be taken to the bank--you'll need to by the time you pay for all the routine maintenance. The more "senior" (experience not age) members all have a good heart, sound advice, and a genuine love of the PT. Welcome and good luck on the odysey of repairs.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 07:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help, guys. I think you got me pointed in the right direction.