PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT replaced battery and now when starting runs for 5 sec and RPMs go zero it stall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2011, 05:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 04 PT replaced battery and now when starting runs for 5 sec and RPMs go zero it stall

Hello. I have an '04 PT with about 95,000 miles on it. The battery went dead and my husband replaced it yesterday. Now, unless I give it gas when I start it, the RPMs go up normally and within about 5 seconds they go down to zero and the engine stalls. If i give it gas the RPMs stay steady and I can drive it. No stalls yet while driving or at stops. when the engine dies all of the electronics in the car stay on, including a/c. To me, it sounds like a wire got knocked loose while he was installing the battery (it's such a tight squeeze in there) but he went back and couldn't see anything that was hanging or obvious.

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance for your ideas/thoughts.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 06:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT replaced battery and now when starting runs for 5 sec and RPMs go zero it s

You had a broken wire problem before, hopefully not again. There are two devices that are attached to the throttle body, where either one could cause the problem your having. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and the IAC (Idle Air Controller). Neither one has anything to do with changing the battery so It probably is a coincidence. I believe you said you had a good guy to take you car to, so have him check out those two sensors.

The only thing I can say about the battery and what's happening about stalling, you said he checked everything out again so I hope he checked all the cables for a good tight fit and good connection with no corrosion on the cable ends.

P.S. Where are you in West Central Florida?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Aug 2011 at 06:49 am.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 01:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT replaced battery and now when starting runs for 5 sec and RPMs go zero it s

Also check the IAT sensor on the flexible tube between the airbox and throttle body. I commonly forget to reconnect it when changing the battery or air filter since I usually completely remove the tube and airbox.

Since you just replaced the battery the problem could simply be the PCM needs to relearn how to control the engine. After 95,000 miles the engine is probably not going to perform as well with the default parameters that the PCM has after disconnecting the battery. Give it some time. If it doesn't get better by the weekend it is probably something else.