Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power steering problem, please help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2011, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power steering problem, please help.

Hi everyone. First off this isn't my car. (2002 Pt cruiser) I am helping a friend out with her car. So here is the deal.. The power steering on the car wasn't working and a shop told her that the p/s pump was bad. So I replaced the pump as well as the serpentine belt. I went to start it up and the p/s was very loud. I looked under the car to find the p/s fluid leaking in two places. One right under the pump by where the pressure line goes into the pump (but it looks like it may be come from the metal line) and the other spot appears to be leaking from the steering rack.

I am tempted to order a new pressure line and see if that is the problem. Does this sound like it may be related to that? And also, the p/s isn't working but i'm guessing it's because it is loosing it's fluid. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 01 Sep 2011, 10:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering problem, please help.

Until you can keep fluid in the sytem, you really can't determine weather it's fixed or not. When fluid is aerated, you'll have no power steering or at least very little.

I would start with the line you just installed on your new pump. If it's not cross threaded but still leaking, I would try pulling the line back out and replacing the o-ring on the end of the line. If it still leaks after that, not much else you can do but replace the line.
Old 01 Sep 2011, 10:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, any chance you have a part number for the line?
Old 02 Sep 2011, 05:09 am
Regular Cruiser

You said that line is also leaking by the rack. If it's because it's contacting the differential cover, it would be covered under a recall and parts and labor would be covered by the dealer.

If not, you can still use the recall part which should be cheaper than if you just ask for a p.s. pressure line. The lines changed however in 2002. The part numbers are below depending which style you have. The orientation they're referring to is right where it goes into the pump.

The power
steering hose to pump connection
orientation changed late in the
2002 model year. For 2002 model
year vehicles, inspect the hose
connection orientation to
determine the proper replacement
hose. For hoses with a vertical
orientation, order P/N CBTKD182
(Figure 1). For hoses with an
angled orientation, order
P/N CBTBD181. The two hoses