PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Poor PT does not like to go over 40 miles from home.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2011, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Poor PT does not like to go over 40 miles from home.

Hello,
My name is Sheila and I have a 2006 Pt Cruiser turbo. We have had it for 4 years and it now has 76,000 miles. Everything was fine until I took my grandkids on a joy ride about 2 months ago and the car started missing and rattling and quit. It has be to the shop several times but not luck. We have removed the catalytic converter and replace the map sensor. The car still has the same problem. It runs great as long as you do not go very far. If it quits you can wait about 30 minutes to let it cool off it with start and miss and rattle but sometime you can make it without the wrecker. I really like my car but it is not dependable like it is. I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you,
Sheila
Old 03 Sep 2011, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Poor PT does not like to go over 40 miles from home.

Sheila, welcome to the forum. Does the engine light come on at all to show any faults. You said you took it to the shop. Was the shop a Chrysler dealer? Did they run any diagnostics? It's a good possibility that one of the sensors could be going bad but usually the engine light will come on telling you which one.

To see if there's any stored codes, use the below link to see what the computer has stored in it's memory.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 03 Sep 2011, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Check engine light stays on. When this first happened the check engine light was blinking while the car was running. You could here the catalytic converter rattling at that time. But it is gone now. I have tried several times to get the codes but I guess I am not holding my mouth right, because no luck. Our mechanic has put it on the machine to check for codes. The last time Auto zone did it it came back with 3 error codes but I have loss them. The common thread in all three was the o2 sensor that is on the catalytic converter. We have bought that sensor but have not put it on yet probably tomorrow. Also, I have read a lot of post here where the crank or cam senor could be bad. Do you think that could cause my problem?
Old 03 Sep 2011, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When either of those sensors (Cam or Crank) go bad they will bring the car to a screeching halt. But they can have intermittent faults that will cause strange things to happen. Either one will set off a fault code something like P0340, P0339.

By the way, the owners manual (if you have one) would have told you NOT to drive the vehicle if the engine light is flashing, otherwise serious damage could be done.
Old 03 Sep 2011, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes read the owners manual after the fact. Believe serious damage is already done. We have tried several times to get codes but nothing shows up. Still don't understand why it can run so smooth for awhile and thens goes to missing and rattling. Do you have any idea what damage they are talking about?
Thanks,
Sheila
Old 03 Sep 2011, 10:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethopealabama View Post
Still don't understand why it can run so smooth for awhile and thens goes to missing and rattling.
Probably heat related... once the car warms up something goes amiss.
Old 04 Sep 2011, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Have any idea what could be heat related and cause this problem?
Old 04 Sep 2011, 08:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
When either of those sensors (Cam or Crank) go bad they will bring the car to a screeching halt. But they can have intermittent faults that will cause strange things to happen. Either one will set off a fault code something like P0340, P0339.

By the way, the owners manual (if you have one) would have told you NOT to drive the vehicle if the engine light is flashing, otherwise serious damage could be done.
Finally got an error code to come up. Same code came up three times in a row. Po1187 and list states this is EOT sensor Crt low Voltage. Have no clue what this is do you?
Old 04 Sep 2011, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I did a Google search and came up with two possibilities. One, you already attended to by replacing the MAP sensor, the other is the 02 sensors. Since it's not a direct code for a particular sensor, I suggest you have both sensors thoroughly examined for anything that might be burnt or wires damaged. One Oxygen Sensor is right above the exhaust manifold, the other on the side of the Converter.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Sep 2011 at 09:16 am.
Old 04 Sep 2011, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

you might want to try a cam sensor, i had a similar problem. an aftermarket cam sensor from oriellys is only about 40 bucks, half of the cost of a mopar sensor,and it might not last as long as oem, but has a 1 yr warranty....mine has been good for 4 months now.it is very easy to change out. i only got an error code once out of a few months of trying to retrieve a code.