Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
replacement head lamp bulbs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2011, 08:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default replacement head lamp bulbs

Anyone know of any replacement "high output" bulbs for Mater?

For example my Dodge truck came stock with 65w low beam/ 90w high beam lamps (Mater has 51w low and 60w high), I was able to get "off road" lamps that were 90w low beam/ 130w high beam for the truck. Both my wife and I are night blind so any more lumins we can get would be great! (some higher wattage for the fogs would be good to)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!
Old 06 Sep 2011, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: replacement head lamp bulbs

I bought mine off ebay, they were from China, but boy oh boy are they bright. They lasted up until my wreck, so I just put new one's in a couple months ago. Still blast down the road, I feel like I"m landing an aircraft at night.

They are the Xenon bulbs. I think Danny also has Xenons. I'll find the dealer, it's a girl who sells on ebay, they are cheaper than anyplace I've ever seen. If you do go for them, clean the bulb as good as you can then wear thin gloves to install it. The oil from your fingers will burn on the bulb and will shorten it's life. Voice of experience....

Here's their shop: http://stores.ebay.com/iPremiertek-C...=p4634.c0.m322

The Xenons are sick, dude. For that price, I bought two pair to have spares.

Last edited by Chromenut; 06 Sep 2011 at 09:48 am.
Old 06 Sep 2011, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Be careful upping the wattage on the bulbs - I've seen posts of burnt wiring as a result.
Have you tried Silverstars?
If you insist on more wattage, suggest you put in a relay triggered by the existing wiring that will switch in heavier gauge wire.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Sep 2011, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Be careful upping the wattage on the bulbs - I've seen posts of burnt wiring as a result.
Have you tried Silverstars?
If you insist on more wattage, suggest you put in a relay triggered by the existing wiring that will switch in heavier gauge wire.
Very good point. Add to it, you've got plastic headlights so be careful about going too high wattage. I put Xenons in my fogs/driving light and the clear plastic cracked from excessive heat.
Old 06 Sep 2011, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

In another car I had glass driving/fog lights and I added high intensity bulbs that threw off a lot of heat. After a long drive with the DL's on, I went to wash the car and the cold water his the hot glass. You can imagine what happened next so as the others said, watch what you change to.
Old 06 Sep 2011, 04:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the link Chrome-
Quick- Will do.
Crewzin- will keep in mind.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers!
Old 08 Sep 2011, 10:07 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I bought mine off ebay, they were from China, but boy oh boy are they bright. They lasted up until my wreck, so I just put new one's in a couple months ago. Still blast down the road, I feel like I"m landing an aircraft at night.

They are the Xenon bulbs. I think Danny also has Xenons. I'll find the dealer, it's a girl who sells on ebay, they are cheaper than anyplace I've ever seen. If you do go for them, clean the bulb as good as you can then wear thin gloves to install it. The oil from your fingers will burn on the bulb and will shorten it's life. Voice of experience....

Here's their shop: 9005, 9006xs items in GP Thunder Bulbs 8500K 7500K 3500K store on eBay!

The Xenons are sick, dude. For that price, I bought two pair to have spares.
Hi! Thanks for the info !! I see the prices are cheap ! thanks !

www.SuperNasro.fr.st >> Design [Go to]

Old 09 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Never buy colored bulbs, while you think you are gaining more light you are not.

Silverstars are probably the better bulb for brightness but they do not last as long as standard bulbs.

I have been running these from DDM Tuning for a few years now in my cars.
They work great and have a liftetime warranty.

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

The 55w 6000k version is perfect, white, but not blue.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 06:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
Never buy colored bulbs, while you think you are gaining more light you are not.

Silverstars are probably the better bulb for brightness but they do not last as long as standard bulbs.

I have been running these from DDM Tuning for a few years now in my cars.
They work great and have a liftetime warranty.

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

The 55w 6000k version is perfect, white, but not blue.
So if a bulb blows they send you a new one for free? I'm not looking for different "colored" bulbs just more lumins (more brighter lights) to see at night. If I could put a rack of KC lights across the front of the pt and make it look stock I would do so, then again I would put a deer guard on it like my truck..... LOL!
Old 10 Sep 2011, 08:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

I am running a DDM hid kit as well. I have the 35w ballasts and the 5000k bulbs. The light is bright and white with a slight blue tint. I never have anyone flash their brights at me. It's not the proper way to do hid, you really should do projectors, but the PT's headlights have a pretty good upper cut off.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com